PDA

View Full Version : So i was at the LFS today and.....

Chaotech
08/18/2006, 04:32 PM
Ok so im at the local fish store today.... i am picking up a 90g tank/stand on sunday so i was getting prices on versa-top / canopy.. etc... i decide to take a look at their corals, the first tank i come by is their display tank... marked NOTHING FOR SALE

i noticed it did not have any power compact or MH lights.. it was 2x standard flourescent lights like you would use on freshwater
yet everything in the tank looked VERY healthy and in very large colony's.. they had star polyps growing off the rock even up the side of the tank almost to the top...lots of soft corals too.. no brains or clams... but with that poor lighting im amazed, the colonies were huge

so does this mean on my 90g could i get away with using just one of the 3way combos like 2x 75w MH, 2xActinics, + Lunar Moonglows?

i am trying to save money wherever i can

afex
08/18/2006, 04:38 PM
lighting is totally dependent on what you plan to keep in the tank.

let us know what you're planning on having and that will help us better direct you to what kind of lights you'll need.

SDguy
08/18/2006, 04:43 PM
The corals you mentioned, I was keeping and growing successfully 15+ years ago with NO lamps. Note that some corals like shrooms will look larger under less light as they expand to try and get as much light as they can. So yes, give a list of what you want to keep, and you'll get plenty of light suggestions. Keep in mind also that often people get more light than necessary so they won't have to upgrade later.

hth

Chaotech
08/18/2006, 05:01 PM
i want a reef tank, but mainly all hardy corals, i do want to be able to frag them to trade and expand my collection so the lighting must be good enough for them to grow quick and be healthy... but i dont want to spend $700+ on lighting, i would like to hang around $350 maybe 400..

Zoanthids of varius colors
Polyps
Colt
couple SPS corals
some mushrooms
Anemone or two, easy to keep ones anyways..

RichConley
08/18/2006, 05:09 PM
for a 90g?

just get a 4x54w T5 fixture. Should cost you like $300.

Chaotech
08/18/2006, 05:17 PM