PDA

View Full Version : What are the best "foods" for different types of corals?

speckled trout
08/18/2006, 11:57 AM
I've never purposely fed my corals in my tank. I suppose some of the corals occassionally eat some of the flakes or pellets I use to feed my fish, but I've never actually targeted any of the corals specifically. They only get the available light to use for photosynthesis.

I've always worried about adding too much or the wrong things that wouldn't actually be accepted by my corals and would instead end up making the nutrient levels go up too high. My fear of polluting the tank water has always kept me away from adding "coral food". Consequently, as I'm sure you can guess, my corals don't grow or spread that fast.

What, if anything, do we know for certain that can be fed to corals that they will actually accept and digest? I see the zoos and other corals occassionally "grab" a passing flake, but are they really eating it? Again, I would only want to add 'food" that would definitely be eaten and benefit the corals.

Occassionally I read on posts that certain people are "target" feeding specific corals a certain food only to have the next post say that they are wasting their time because that particular coral won't accept that type of food. This is very confusing and has always led me to conclude(probably wrongly) that I'm better off not taking a chance by adding anything to my tank that may instead end up polluting the water.

I want my corals to thrive and grow, not just exist. Any help in straightening this out would be greatly appreciated. Please indicate exactly what type of food you feed to specific corals. A location to purchase it would also be extremelly beneficial. I'm interested in types for soft as well as different varieties of lps and sps corals. Thanks-Mike

papagimp
08/21/2006, 12:45 PM
I have found that different corals can be picky bout what they like, I have several euphyllia that won't touch silversides or squid or brine shrimp nauplii but I hear they like that stuff, I also dose cyclopeeze and have never seen the euphyllia eat the stuff, while other corals in my tank will, and again, I hear frogspawns love that stuff. may be trial and error to an extent.

speckled trout
08/21/2006, 03:46 PM
That's the problem. Does anyone know for sure that their corals are actually eating what we offer them? I know some of them seem to grab stuff with their poylps, but are they actually consuming it?

Also, it'd be helpful to know exact sizes of the offerings that these coral are accepting.

Please chime in if you have definite info. on specific foods or brands of commercially prepared foods that are helping your corals to grow and flourish. Thanks - Mike