PDA

View Full Version : What is My Best Next Choice?

PatMayo
08/17/2006, 11:15 PM
I want to concentrate on LPS corals in my tank. It has been up for 202 days now. I currently have 2 plate corals, 3 frogspawn, a hydnophora, a colony of mushrooms, some large polyps and zoas.
I have a feather duster and an urchin. The fish count is 2 Clarki clowns. That's it.

I would like to get a larger specimen now that will fill up a pretty good space on the rock. The space is in the top third of the tank. I could use some suggestions if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance. You can see my tank at this thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=780206&perpage=25&pagenumber=9

Regards,

Pat

Thurge
08/18/2006, 12:41 AM
I would suggest
Galaxia
Physogyra (pearl bubble)
a rarer morph of Hydno (pink or blue IIWY I would go pink as I have only heard of it. I missed getting a nice one by hours)

I realise these are softies but they look nice with LPS
Pulsing sinularia
Green Nepthia

Justin74
08/18/2006, 12:59 AM
My first thought was also a bubble( I like the green ones :) ). After looking at your tank I also think a faviid or some other brain coral would/could jazz it up and be a great addition.Happy shopping :)

-Justin

jessp
08/18/2006, 09:35 AM
i saw the pics you have in your gallery, the pics in the link didn't work for me. I'd say you really need some bright color, a big green favid or large galaxea would be cool. you can add some gsp that are cheap and pretty colorful and will spread real quick. not saying use the gsp instead of the favia, but just to add some color for cheap. nice setup though, you have a lot of options. and some room to work with, wish i had a tank your size, my 37 is jam packed. when i want a new coral i have to bring back an old one to make room.

David Grigor
08/18/2006, 12:05 PM
For an LPS dominate tank, a nice colored scolymia or cynaria is a must ( IMO ).

I tend to like the more solid red/pink ones but lots of color variations out there. Just have to keep looking for just the right one.......

Thurge
08/18/2006, 11:44 PM
Chalace would add some bright color, and comes in just about every color in the rainbow.
IMHO GSP looks pretty but is nasty under neath. If memory serves its actually a form of gorgonian and its very aggressice and packs a nice sting. I have seen people use even more aggressive things like Euphillias to keep it in one place, but if given any opportunity it will break that containment and sting anything it can. Also once it attaches to your LR the only way to remove it is to remove the whole rock, or bury it under reef epoxy. Even then it will come back through the tiniest of holes.

PatMayo
08/19/2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice folks. I appreciate it. I will take your suggestions and do some more research and then make a choice.
Thurge, if what you say is true of the GSP then I think I will steer clear. I want to try to keep the hassle factor to a minimum.

David, do the specimens that you mention have a common name? Would the typical source web sites search work with those words? I would like to find some of those and see what they look like.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Pat

David Grigor
08/21/2006, 12:32 PM
http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/ will typically has some on there website to look at. I have never bought from them just window shop. They come in a very wide variety of colorations, so be picky and wait for just the right one.

bobafett
08/22/2006, 12:16 PM
All the other suggestions are really good. Some other LPS to look at if you want something that grows fast and can get big try a trumpet or candy cane. Lobos can get pretty big too if fed well.