PDA

View Full Version : Looking for local input

jimbirm
08/17/2006, 10:31 AM
Hey All,

I finally decided to take the plunge and purchased a 120 RR last week. I also ordered Acrylite for a DIY sump (30x20x16).

My current project will be a DIY stand. My goal regarding the stand is having enough room underneath to conceal everything that is needed for the tank. I am going to set it up so I have the option of adding whatever I wish in terms of corals, frags, fish, etc. I understand that certain organisms can not be displayed together.

Basically what I need room for is this sump is a skimmer, ca reactor, control panel, and anything else that may be recommended on here.

For the skimmer I was thinking octopus-nw200. What do you guys think? I am not concerned so much with having a $1000 plus overkill gadget, but rather one that performs efficiently and effectively.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/opinions/ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Birdlady
08/17/2006, 06:54 PM
I think 1G is a bit steep for a skimmer ! And I don't think you get that much more performance for the money!

ASM or Lifereef's seem to be favorites around here....

jimbirm
08/17/2006, 08:05 PM
I was poking around the Lifereef website and think I am going to purchase the LCR1 Calcium reactor to put in my sump.

Since you mentioned it, I will definitely look at their skimmers as well.

Thanks for the input.

Jay4Robin
08/17/2006, 08:53 PM
Life reef is a great product all hand made. AAAAA++++++ Jeff is a great guy to deal with. I have his skimmer and reactor.

jimbirm
08/17/2006, 09:11 PM
Which skimmer do you use for your setup?

Jay4Robin
08/17/2006, 09:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7961656#post7961656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimbirm
Which skimmer do you use for your setup?

http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html
SVS2-24

jimbirm
08/17/2006, 09:40 PM
Since you are the Indiana Jones of SPS, maybe you can help me with my biggest dilemna.

What type of lighting do you use. One could spend weeks reading about the pros and cons of MH vs T5s here in RC.

Like I said earlier, I am most interested in having the option of stocking whatever I want in my tank.

Thanks.

Sonia Taro
08/18/2006, 01:24 PM
Can not go wrong with Jeff at LifeReef. Jay did you get rid of that beach yet. Remember sand belongs in a cat litter box not the bottom of a tank. :)

jimbirm
08/18/2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, I think I will definitely be doing business with the folks at Lifereef

Just looking to get my ducks in a row first, to make the fewest mistakes possible when selecting items for my tank.

Birdlady
08/18/2006, 04:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7965560#post7965560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sonia Taro
Can not go wrong with Jeff at LifeReef. Jay did you get rid of that beach yet. Remember sand belongs in a cat litter box not the bottom of a tank. :)

LOL! You are worse than a reformed smoker with the sand gig! :eek: