PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason why no-one uses float valves for their ATO

Flobajob
08/16/2006, 05:45 PM
Hi,

As the title suggests, I was wondering why people use float switches and electronic circuits instead of (mechanical) float valves. It would seem to me that a float valve would be more reliable than a float switch (since float switches frequently stick 'on').

I was thinking of using something like this for my ATO:

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/18/p1034518_l.jpg

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/graphics/16253.gif

Would there be any problems with this?

I realise there may be issues with salt creep, but no more so than with float switches, and the hinge is above water, so provided it did not get splashed it would be fine (I think).

Does anyone disagree? Or do you think I can use a float valve instead of float switches?

Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Flobajob.

george1098
08/16/2006, 07:27 PM
I've never seen a unite like that before. I wouldn't really say if i think it will work or not. You could use one of the regular floatvalves. I think kent makes them, they are available from CustomAquatic.com.
I love my ATS that i got from floatswitches.net. very reliable, but its your tank, so use what you want :)

HotHotHot
08/16/2006, 07:33 PM
I used the Kent float valve for about 5 years on my 90.

Just make sure to clean it once in a while or it can stick on too. I'm not sure how, but I was luck I didn't get a flood.

That was close to 5 years after installation and NO cleaning.

HTH
Ed

bklynmet
08/16/2006, 09:21 PM
The Kent float valve is pretty easy. The reason many people are out of favor with this option is that the float valve has to be
1. anchored in place at the level you want it to open/close
2. clean it regularly (maintenance is mandatory of using Kalk with the topoff)
3. if it fails, it dumps water from the resevoir into the sump/tank
4. the float switch option if fails, will not turn on a pump (and there is usually a second/third float switch for redundancy higher up in the sump as an emergency shutoff in case it is stuck on - and the likliehood of more than one failing at the same time the other fails is low)

Horace
08/16/2006, 09:42 PM
I used a toilet float valve for mine. Its 100% plastic and has worked flawlessly for me for the past year. I think its a flowmaster

dngspot
08/16/2006, 09:47 PM
I am using a float valve on my sump. I have heard that snails can be a problem, but they have not been one in my tank. The valve is to high for them anyway. The float valve does not see kalkwasser, it is attached to my ro/di unit. I cleaned once, but really did not need to. It is 2 years old. The link below is where I got it. The metal parts are stainless and I have not witnessed any corrosion

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=6109&product%5Fid=12596&variant%5Fid=23099

fio1022
08/16/2006, 10:26 PM
I use both on my ato.I use float valves to fill tankwith RO/DI water to desidered level.Mix in kalkwasser powder with a pump thata on a timer.Then I use a series of float switches to turn on and off a metering pump.
The only work involved is adding kalkwasser powder and turning on a timer every 3-4 weeks.I also installed indicating led's to let me know when level is low.cause ATO set up is in basement.
One of the best DIY projects I have done.

bassnman11
08/16/2006, 11:22 PM
I use a float switch in my sump as a safety for my ATO. I use a aqualifter pump on a timer to do 2 small topoffs daily. Works great.

CoolUsername
08/17/2006, 02:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7955619#post7955619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bassnman11
I use a float switch in my sump as a safety for my ATO. I use a aqualifter pump on a timer to do 2 small topoffs daily. Works great.

Yep. I like this route. I am planning to implement something very close to this design. I am planning on hooking it to the RO/DI output instead of a pump. I have an autotopoff.com solenoid hooked to the float switch. I will use a timer as well. Probably on a 2 per day 10 min go.

Advantages:
[list=1]
Triple Redundant waterflow stops for the cheapest price
Very little pump/solenoid cycling
[/list=1]

Float Switch $15
Solenoid $35
Float Valve $15
Timer $5

Flobajob
08/17/2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've never seen a unite like that before.
The float valve I posted a pic of is a compact float valve designed to be used in a toilet.

I used a toilet float valve for mine. Its 100% plastic and has worked flawlessly for me for the past year.
Do you ever have trouble with salt creep?

The metal parts are stainless and I have not witnessed any corrosion
I think the float valve I posted a pic of is all pvc, so it should be alright. My main concern is salt creep causing the hinge to seize up. Here's the link to where I intend to get my float valve:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm

It seems like there shouldn't be any problems with using a float valve, since from the sounds of it most people don't haven't had any trouble with them. Has anyone ever had any issues with one fail?

exoticaquatix
08/18/2006, 12:54 AM
well, after a few close calls (anemone+external overflow+float switch+RO/DI filter = freshwater reef tank) i added a soleniod hooked up to an appliance timer. the timer switches the soleniod on for 2 hours between 8 and 12 pm (which is when i usually clean/enjoy my tank) allowing the RO/DI filter to run. the float valve allows the sump to fill to the set level. if it were to fail only a small amount of extra would be allowed into the sump. i consider this to be a pretty safe system(MUCH safer than the last!) which i may or may not improve upon or replace with my next system.

-nick

mhj1580
08/18/2006, 02:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7954949#post7954949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
I am using a float valve on my sump. I have heard that snails can be a problem,
In my sump the chocolate chip star is the problem it just loves the hang on the float.

BeanAnimal
08/18/2006, 07:59 AM
I use a float valve in the sump... It is is backed up by a float a latched float switch set. The Valve is fed by a 6 gallons bucket, wich is filled by a solenoid that is latched by float switches. The bucket fill point is a float valve, just above the float switch.

1) the bucket only filles when it is empty.
2) the bucket has several failsafes so it can not flood the floor
3) the tank has several failsafaes so the bucket can only AT WORST dump 6 gallons in the sump.

For me to have ANY kind of a flood, I would have to at least have 2 of the top-off systems fail (and in most cases 3).

To much trouble for some folks.... but the kind of thing I like to play with.

Flobajob
08/18/2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I will go for a float valve, but I am interested in having some sort of failsafe. If I were to have a gravity feed to the float valve in the sump, what would be the best way to safeguard against flooding?

I was thinking that I could get 2 float valves and have the drain line go through both, so if one stuck open I would have one that still worked properly. However, this seems a bit of a clumsy method, and I am sure there is a better one. Since I won't have any pumps or RO/DI involved in my ATO, I cannot see where I could use an electronic failsafe. I was wondering if there was some sort of electrically controlled valve that I could fit to my drain line, but I have not come across anything suitable.

What would you do in this situation - use two float valves, or try and figure out a way to incorporate a float switch or two into the system?

TheVillageIdiot
08/18/2006, 09:38 AM
My ATO will be a gravity feed w/ a float valve. The only way for a flood to happen is if the valve fails when the bucket is full and the return pump is off and then it will be a very close call as my sump is a 20H w/ just over 10g running in it. The auto top off is a 5 gallon bucket that I will have to fill manually.

h20cooled
08/18/2006, 10:38 AM
I also use a gravity fed float valve for my ATO but I have a float switch wired up to my controller so that if the float valve gets stuck open or something happens it turns off the ATO. It works great and in 3 yrs I have never had an issue of it sticking open.

Rich

RicGio
08/18/2006, 06:28 PM
my ATO fills a 3 gallon "pre sump" thru a mechanical float valve once a day via a timer and solenoid valve.The "pre sump" gravity feeds the sump thru another float valve. Both floats would have to fail to have a Freshwater reef.
If the pre sump float fails the 3 gallon tank overflows to a floor drain. I'm probably going to get a screamer alarm for that since both sumps are in the basement.
If the saltwater sump M/U float fails, the most I'll overfill is 3 gallons.

Not an ideal setup but it's simple to maintain and operate. The K.I.S.S. factor.