PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Coral or Plate Coral

Danyull
08/16/2006, 05:18 PM
I wanted to have a bubble coral or plate coral in my Nano tank and was wondering if they would be compatible with a cleaner shrimp like a Pepperminet or a skunk. I've done some research online but I can't seem to find much on whether the sweeper tentacles are dangerous to inverts. Any help?

Slartibartfast
08/16/2006, 05:49 PM
I've had cleaners with bubble corals and not had any problems. I think the shrimp know to stay away. I'm not sure if the tentacles would even hurt a shrimp anyway. Shrimp have an exoskeleton, and the bubble tentacles are meant to hurt other soft corals.

duec22
08/16/2006, 06:04 PM
I don't think you are going to have any problems with the coral hurting the shrimp. However if you feed either of the corals you may find the shrimp to be a little thief...mugging the poor coral for it's meal...You can try and feed the shrimp first, but that does not always help.

Danyull
08/16/2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info! Just what I was looking for!

papagimp
08/17/2006, 05:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7953362#post7953362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by duec22
However if you feed either of the corals you may find the shrimp to be a little thief...mugging the poor coral for it's meal...You can try and feed the shrimp first, but that does not always help.

Boy did you say a mouthful there, I had a coral banded that I swear to god, enjoyed the food off the brain coral in my 55g better than the food on the ground right in front of the brain. Like my LPS was is own personal serviing dish.

ACBlinky
08/17/2006, 09:33 PM
Bubble corals have a VERY strong sting, and aren't necessarily safe with shrimp. Mine attacked and ate a large cleaner shrimp, despite being very well fed.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/ACBlinky/Misc/P7010005Medium.jpg

Something else to consider is how large bubbles get -- in less than a year mine has quadrupled in size, and puts out some pretty long sweepers. I don't think it's possible to frag mine, I almost wish I'd bought a branching bubble; I have no idea what I'm going to do in a year when this thing is a foot wide!