PDA

View Full Version : How many of you...

Arch01
08/16/2006, 01:40 PM
How many of you have left the hobby and come back after more than a year being away? I'm just curious because I am considering selling my tank and taking a break.

I got married in June and will probably move around every couple years or so for a while until we settle down with kids. My thoughts of selling my 180 didn't come around until we decided to replace the carpet in most of the condo, including where the tank was sitting. I figured it would be a good opportunity to take the tank down and redo a few things that I have always wanted to improve (hindsight being 20/20 and all). After honeymooning in the Caribbean and seeing some beautiful reefs, I was motivated to get to work and got everything taken down pretty quickly (involved a lot of work and a couple of headaches). The rock is cooking in a kiddie pool in the garage and the fish and corals are sitting in a temporary tank. Now that I am looking at setting it back up I am questioning whether I should wait until we have more room, and am thinking about the ongoing costs of maintaining the tank and having to move it one day... its all a little overwhelming considering where we are in our lives.

So back to my question... how many of you have hit this wall only to come back later? I love the hobby, but I am worried if I leave now I will never make it back.

Nykademus
08/16/2006, 02:32 PM
( humble opinion only )

I am only now setting up a reef, but have had several FO or FOWLR tanks.

I have come to realize that whether in recovery or not, I am a SW junkie and will always come back if I take a break.

My thoughts are these:

1) the biggest obstical in comming back is gathering all of the equipment in order to do so, due to the time, costs, and time involved. ( if you sell or otherwise rid yourself of the equipment )

2) if you plan on taking a break but keekping the equipment, it takes up space and is still a pain to move along with you.. IMO if you are going to go thru the hassle of keeping the equipment with you, you might as well get the enjoyment of watching a set up tank.

I wouldnt worry about the interest though. If you love aquariums now, you will love them then. Just be prepared for the regret of losing all of the equipment you had when you decide to gather more. =)

MayoBoy
08/16/2006, 02:51 PM
I started back when bristle worms were the most horrible things you could have in your tank. I've been in and out over the years but keep coming back.

I wouldn't worry about it. Now it's easier than ever to come back - especially with RC where you can pick things up for dimes on the dollar. If you're burned out, take a break, enjoy your wife and marriage. You'll know when it's time to come back to it.

Arch01
08/16/2006, 03:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7952009#post7952009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nykademus
Just be prepared for the regret of losing all of the equipment you had when you decide to gather more. =)

Figuring out what equipment to get and how to set it all up is half the fun (and frustration)!

Is this a vicious cycle I can expect to be in for the rest of my life? :D Thanks for the responses and support.

LBCBJ
08/16/2006, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7952244#post7952244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Arch01
Is this a vicious cycle I can expect to be in for the rest of my life? :D

More than likely, yes...and what a vicious cycle it is...

demos10
08/16/2006, 06:16 PM
Starting mine back up right now.Lost everything in a move almost 1 year ago when a cold front moved through and temps dropped in the 30's on moving day.Been surfing rc ever since waiting until I would set it back up.
This time around I can set everything up knowing more about what I want and also need for the tank(no mushrooms,sump,throw away the prism skimmer,etc.).
Have live rock coming in tommorrow.Once the bug bites you you're bitten.

Jeanniee
08/16/2006, 06:22 PM
I had a 125 gal reef tank a 75gal fw and a 20 gal brackish. A nasty divorce got me out entirely without a single tank for 3 years. Got a 73 gal bow front for my birthday and I am probably more obsessed than I was then. The nice thing about this time around is that I found a place like RC and have put in a lot more research and as a result haven't wasted money on crap I didn't need and I haven't lost livestock because I didn't know what i was doing. if you love it you will get back into to it when the time is right.

mg426
08/16/2006, 08:26 PM
I think you will be back, A 180 is kind of hard to hide and even harder to look at empty.

ctrulock
08/16/2006, 08:36 PM
I stopped for like about 6 months. Just got sick of fighting hair algea and evap. It all started again when I went to the dreaded pet land to buy salt and saw this pink samoa sand on clearence. So i went to turn on my lights and they did not work-hmmm. So off i went to the lfs and saw this nice 150w hqi metal halide pendent with cool hanging wires( aqua medic). Then I spotted a cool 20 gal acryllic cube reef ready tank. So afer like 550$ I,m back LOLOL.

scumonkey
08/16/2006, 08:47 PM
Dropped out for 5 years after running SW since 1973!
I just couldn't stand it any more....I HAD to have another tank!
Boy does technology make the hobby change fast. Jumping back in
you feel almost like a newbie/ along with all the excitment of the first time ;^)

Jester
08/16/2006, 09:09 PM
I jsut took about 2-3 years off after having tanks for close to 3 years... now I'm back and spending even more... hehehee...

Jester

Arch01
08/17/2006, 08:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7954611#post7954611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jester
I jsut took about 2-3 years off after having tanks for close to 3 years... now I'm back and spending even more... hehehee...

Jester

Don't tell my wife that :D I'm sure I will end up spending the next couple of years planning the next big tank... maybe a nice 240 cube...

TheMcs
08/17/2006, 08:56 AM
Started in 1997, left in 2000, started back in 2004 with a vengeance.

javajaws
08/17/2006, 11:23 AM
I took quite a few years off between my first couple tanks and my latest tank. Mostly due to work and kids. Back full force now though.

One thing I do recommend is to get things as automated as possible...auto-topoff, CA reactor, etc. Think about the things you hated doing the most last time around and spend money there first.

Whisperer
08/17/2006, 12:30 PM
Just started a 120G tank after moving from NY. I had to save most of my old gadgets knowing that I will soon go back into the hobby. I find this hobby addicting. I agree, the hobby evolves fast.