PDA

View Full Version : Reeftopia Update and some snails for sale!

Fliger
08/15/2006, 12:36 PM
I can't believe what a difference the last order made. Last night my wife mentioned that she was happy I was able to spend more time on my tank. In fact, I haven't touched my tank in a month or so. The snails have TOTALLY kept the front of my glass crystal clear. I was starting to get algae of all kinds - fuzzy, hair, cyano, etc - and lots of it. I added -

2 tangs
2 lettuce nudis
a bunch of ceriths, astraes
a few nerites
a few emeral crabs

My tank is now spotless. The glass, the rocks, the sand. Everything. In fact I need to get rid of some of these.

I think I can easily get rid of about 40. So if anyone wants 40 for ten bucks LMK.

Is everyone else's order doing ok?

Fliger
08/15/2006, 12:41 PM
Sold already, dang you guys are fast!

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 02:16 PM
my high number of snails is what keeps my 180 clean ;)

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 02:22 PM
dang that was only like 10 minutes lol.

vanmle
08/15/2006, 02:30 PM
Your snails keep your front glass clean? Mine leaves snail tracks. Do you think it is because I don't have enough?

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 02:42 PM
yes IME. I clean the front of my glass once a week and the back once a month if that . You should see my nightime army in my 180,90 and 44 its like night of the living dead . I also think they keep it so clean that corraline doesn't have a chance.

My 15g frag tank below has 3 snails and within a week I had corraline everywhere not to mention other algea grwoing on the glass.

vanmle
08/15/2006, 02:49 PM
All right. Is it an army of Astraes?

auntdeb
08/15/2006, 04:08 PM
Yes, which snails are best for cleaning? I have a 125 and we are having an outbreak of hair algae and red slime or cyano I think. I have a lot of hermits but all they seem to do is kill each other and the few snails that I have in the tank. How many snails should I put in? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Fliger
08/15/2006, 05:42 PM
Hermits are evil. Them killing your snails is fueling algae. The only crabs I keep are emeralds and the cute ones in SPS. ;-)

Van, yeah - my front is entirely clear. At night its covered with snails. B4 I added these I had snail tracks. Now no snail tracks.

I forgot to mention that b4 I added these, I had about 75 snails or more and it was strange, they were all covered in hair algae. Now you can't tell them apart accept they're larger.

An "army" is a great description. It reminds me of pheasant hunting.

vanmle
08/15/2006, 05:51 PM
All right. I am thinking I might have to do a snail group buy soon. Maybe, I will need 300-400 hundred more of them. I think I have about 200 now.

Do you guys think this is enough?

OceanLyons
08/15/2006, 06:24 PM
I'd be interested in another snail group buy. I only have 2 mexican tubos, 5 nerites, 5 ceriths, and 5 narcissus (spelling?) in my 55.

corivus
08/15/2006, 06:31 PM
I'd be interested in some more as well for the tank I'm setting up right now just want to get the tank a good healthy startup.

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 06:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7946196#post7946196 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vanmle
All right. I am thinking I might have to do a snail group buy soon. Maybe, I will need 300-400 hundred more of them. I think I have about 200 now.

Do you guys think this is enough?

Last time I added snails it was around 450 total .

Rekonn
08/15/2006, 06:54 PM
I'm in for a snail group buy too, but I'll have to split a 100 lot with others. I'm afraid of getting too many and having them starve.

corivus
08/15/2006, 06:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7946562#post7946562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rekonn
I'm in for a snail group buy too, but I'll have to split a 100 lot with others. I'm afraid of getting too many and having them starve.

I'd go in on a split with you if you want I think that 100 might be too much between the 30 and the 60 gallon tanks :/ specially when the 60 hasn't established anything yet

jchapple
08/15/2006, 07:16 PM
I'd be happy to split an order as well. Mostly interested in ceriths, but would take some astreas and a few peppermint shrimp & emerald crabs.

auntdeb
08/15/2006, 07:16 PM
So, assuming I have less than 20 snails left in my 125 gallon, how many of which kind do you recommend? I have lots of softies, 9 fish, 2 peps, 2 skunk cleaners and an arrow crab.

evolust
08/15/2006, 07:28 PM
Hey David, are you ready to sell one of the nudis yet?

vanmle
08/15/2006, 07:51 PM
I don't think your snails will starve.

I have 200 snails now in my 175. I am thinking of adding 300 hundred more.

Notice that clkwrk has 450 in his 180. I think that clkwrk probably has less algae than most of us because he has a lower nutrient tank.

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 07:57 PM
damn byropsiss ......snails don't touch that

newhere
08/15/2006, 09:03 PM
Fliger
I sent you a pm. If you can give me a call.

Fliger
08/15/2006, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7946725#post7946725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by evolust
Hey David, are you ready to sell one of the nudis yet?

You make me sound like a pimp. Yes you can buy one, I saw one this morning on the glass. They are BEAUTIFUL.

Clkwrk, you can have the other one if I can find him. I'm not sure who wiped out the bryopsis, it was either the lettuce nudi or the Sailfin.

BTW I saw an old friend today. I was at Martin's and I saw a HUGE vlamgii. It was the one I sold to Ron and he got too big for Ron's tank! He needs to be in at least a 300, still a beauty though!

joeyf
08/15/2006, 09:46 PM
How sad! That poor vlamingi has been in there since the last time I was in there, which was at least 2 months ago. Someone with a huge tank needs to take him home. The 120 that they have him in has got to be cramped.

Man! and I thought I had a lot of snails at 100 or so in my 90g. I suppose if someone does another buy I should pick up some more.

Anyone know of a good detrius eating snail that doesn't need sand for my sump?

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 09:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7947379#post7947379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fliger
You make me sound like a pimp. Yes you can buy one, I saw one this morning on the glass. They are BEAUTIFUL.

Clkwrk, you can have the other one if I can find him. I'm not sure who wiped out the bryopsis, it was either the lettuce nudi or the Sailfin.

BTW I saw an old friend today. I was at Martin's and I saw a HUGE vlamgii. It was the one I sold to Ron and he got too big for Ron's tank! He needs to be in at least a 300, still a beauty though!

He turned into a coral eater thats why Ron got rid of him . Mine is getting pretty large also and I have my eye on him . It will be sad to get rid of mine since mine was a 50cent piece when I bought it and it likes me :(

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 09:55 PM
BTW yes I will take the nudi :) Got any free time tomorrow? I need to bring back your goodies and get mine

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 09:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7947671#post7947671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeyf
How sad! That poor vlamingi has been in there since the last time I was in there, which was at least 2 months ago. Someone with a huge tank needs to take him home. The 120 that they have him in has got to be cramped.

Man! and I thought I had a lot of snails at 100 or so in my 90g. I suppose if someone does another buy I should pick up some more.

Anyone know of a good detrius eating snail that doesn't need sand for my sump?

That is sad cramped in asuch a small tank . :rolleyes:

BTW Joey I have around 250 snails in the 90 combo of astrea and cerith but I need more poop eaters.

newhere
08/15/2006, 09:58 PM
I would like to get in on a snail group buy also. LMK if one gets started.

aztbs
08/15/2006, 10:05 PM
Is anyone planning to start this group buy? I have done 2 with reeftopia so far, if nobody else wants to start one then I will. I am needing some more snails.

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 10:08 PM
same here...i'd like to try and get in on that snail buy...couple questions...do the snails only come in something like 100 snail incraments? if so...i'd be willing to split a hundred either in half or in thirds if someone would like.

also...how much does a hundred usually cost...i'm thinking ceriths probably

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 10:09 PM
I would take some but I am not in need.

lhoo
08/15/2006, 10:31 PM
i'm in need. I could use a few hundred snails.

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 10:40 PM
i was thinkin ceriths but they're more than i was thinking...anyone wanna split 100 astreas?

Fliger
08/15/2006, 10:48 PM
I don't mind doing it, but I'm kind of GU for some. Maybe someone closer in town could do it. But if noone vols, I can do it no problem.

Newhere, I didn't get a PM today?

CORAL EATER? I dunno if that is usual or not. What a drag. I haven't seen Ron around in awhile, I hope all is well with him!

newhere
08/15/2006, 10:51 PM
I sent it a few days ago. I will resend it.

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 10:53 PM
a GU? lol, whats that? and i dont remember, but i dont think you're that far from me..whats your crossroads?

newhere
08/15/2006, 10:59 PM
Fliger pm resent.

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 11:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7948226#post7948226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fliger
I don't mind doing it, but I'm kind of GU for some. Maybe someone closer in town could do it. But if noone vols, I can do it no problem.

Newhere, I didn't get a PM today?

CORAL EATER? I dunno if that is usual or not. What a drag. I haven't seen Ron around in awhile, I hope all is well with him!

Yeah I am not sure either so I will be watching closely ..Ron is doing good but hangs out over on the aquatichobby board.

grenaria
08/15/2006, 11:09 PM
Fliger, how big are your nudis? I have two of them, about 2" when not stretched, they eat nonstop for days, but don't seem to have all that big of an impact on the algae. Then they go bask for a few days and all the algae grows right back. I do like the fact that if you plop them down on some hair algae while they're not basking they will stay right where you put them for days.

auntdeb
08/15/2006, 11:20 PM
I'd definitely like to get in on the group buy too. It sounds like I would need a couple hundred?

Clkwrk or Fliger, how many of which type do you recommend?

I saw Ron twice today when I dropped off and picked up my daughter from school. He's fine, but like clkwrk said he's usually on the other board. What I haven't seen in a while is his tank! I need to get over there and see it! I have his old 125 which I thought was big till I got to see what he replaced it with!

Frizz
08/15/2006, 11:32 PM
Where would this group buy need to be PU at? I might be interested in some lettuce nudis. I too have rampant bryopis.
Frizz

clkwrk
08/15/2006, 11:40 PM
Snails for a 125 hmmmm. 150-200 astreas and 50-75 ceriths

auntdeb
08/15/2006, 11:41 PM
Anyone have a picture of what bryopsis is?

grenaria
08/15/2006, 11:48 PM
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-27,GGLJ:en&q=bryopsis&sa=N&tab=wi

auntdeb
08/16/2006, 12:02 AM
Whoa! O.K. I don't think I have any of that in my tank.

Chris, wow! That's a lot of snails! Do you recommend placing some in the refugium too? That thing looks terrible! Is there anything that can keep up with the algae (coraline and hair) that is all over the sides of it? If so how many should I put there? Also, we've been really struggling to get our nitrates down. Do you think getting a lot of snails in there would help this problem? We've tried just about everything else....and before you ask, yes we use Salifert test kits and nitrates is the only thing that is off and it is a new kit. I would love for my tank to look as clean as yours does....or at least close to that. Thanks in advance for any advice.

vanmle
08/16/2006, 01:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7947844#post7947844 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aztbs
Is anyone planning to start this group buy? I have done 2 with reeftopia so far, if nobody else wants to start one then I will. I am needing some more snails.

I vote for Tiffany. I would like to do it but I get home way too late most nights.

aztbs
08/16/2006, 08:32 AM
Ok, I need to figure out my work schedule and I will start a new thread.

Rekonn
08/16/2006, 11:11 AM
Ok, less worried about snails starving now. Still want to take it kinda slow, can always add more later.

Corvius thanks, I'll split a lot of 100 Turbo snails with you.

Depending on the discount we get I think I'd also like to get some Cerith. Think I should get 50 Nassarius vibex too? I have a 5-6" DSB in my 90g, and the site highly recommends them.

auntdeb
08/16/2006, 11:12 AM
Tiffany,
Where in Chandler are you? I would offer to help set up the group buy, but I'm so new in this hobby I don't know if I have the expertise to do it....or the room for that matter. I've never gotten in on a group buy before, but since I'm in need of so many snails right now I can't pass it up this time. I usually take all my livestock business to the LFS, but they don't stock the quantity that I need and I'm sure they can't touch the lot prices. I can't wait till this gets going and my tank gets cleaner!!! I should have done this a long time ago.

Fliger, do you think I should just take out the hermits from the tank? I will keep the 6 Scarlet Reef crabs in there, but what about the stupid redlegged and micro blueleg ones? Are they O.K. for the refugium or should I just get rid of them completely?

Thanks for all the help, Tammie....

Philwd
08/16/2006, 11:15 AM
How do you guys keep your astreas alive? Mine just die off. They fall everywhere and I can't get to them to turn them back over. I've gone through at least 200 in the past year although I admit my monster emerald crab and the pistol shrimp are partially responsible.

jchapple
08/16/2006, 11:35 AM
I'm in Chandler as well and would like half lots of both cerith and astrea. Please make sure I'm included on the list and know the logistics.

azhockeynut
08/16/2006, 12:07 PM
Phil, thanks for asking that one! I can't wait to see the answer! Same problem here. I have nutrient rich tank unfortunately. Bad plumbing among other things. Them constantly dying off does not help.
Fish don't seem to care though.

aztbs
08/16/2006, 12:35 PM
auntdeb - I am near the intersection of the 101 and Elliot Rd. I will provide details on the group order soon, stay tuned.

Phil - I don't have any luck with astreas either. The only way that I can maintain them is to keep a stick handy and flip them over whenever I see them, but I have the same problem with them being out of reach. I have a handful of hermits that take care of them if they are on their back for too long. My strategy so far has been to keep replenishing them every so often. My other population of nerites, ceriths, and nassarius are a lot more reliable. I am interested in recommendations as well for a good susbititute for astreas, especially good glass cleaners.

jchapple, watch for a new thread for the actual order and be sure to post there.

If you haven't been in a group buy before, you simply need to post your order, and then I will PM you with details for prepayment and pickup time. With live goods, I will arrange for the order to come in on a day that I can be home all day. The order usually arrives around 9:30-10:30. I will post on the thread as soon as I have picked it up. You MUST be available to get your order the same day, or arrange for someone else to get them. If I have to hold them overnight, I make no guarantees to their condition. Last time, by about 7PM, there were issues with several items. I had to put them in my sump and still many were lost.

I will shoot for a delivery of Wed or Thurs next week, so I will try to get the thread started today or tomorrow.

jpslickorocks
08/16/2006, 01:37 PM
I agree with aztbs about the astreas. As they are dying in my tank it is getting dirtier and dirtier. I am open to suggestions for good hardy glass cleaners as well.

corivus
08/16/2006, 02:12 PM
I've had pretty good luck with mine, they don't seem to fall to often unless I knock them down hehe but for the most they just end up dying when they try to explore my filter. I have one thats a lil bigger then a quarter right now I think.

and rekkon that'd be cool I'm thinking about doing 3/4 astreas and the other 1/4 something else not sure what tho lol

Fliger
08/16/2006, 02:20 PM
I haven't had one snail die. I think its the fact that I'm barebottom. Sounds like they can't upright themselves in the sand. I do have sand in the front of my tank, when I see them there, I just throw them in the back of the tank.

I wonder if clkwrk has the same situation?

sidewinder770
08/16/2006, 02:28 PM
I've had the same problem with Astreas not being able to flip themselves over- every few months I'll try to pull out the empty shells and restock. I have found that the Nerites usually can flip over or maybe they just don't fall off as easily. I've been adding nerites to my tank since they are fairly pricey compared to the astreas but they seem last forever even with my hermit crabs.

auntdeb
08/16/2006, 02:35 PM
Wednesday or Thursday of next week works great for me. Thursday would be a little better so my husband would be home to help but Wednesday is fine too! Can't wait for the thread with all the info. I think I'm going to get 100 turbos, 50 ceriths and maybe 50 nerites....depends on pricing and breakdown of lots.

sir_dudeguy
08/16/2006, 02:52 PM
what are some good sand cleaners? my nassarius will just scavenge in the sand, but they wont actually eat the algae..

aztbs
08/16/2006, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7952176#post7952176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy
what are some good sand cleaners? my nassarius will just scavenge in the sand, but they wont actually eat the algae..

Ceriths are good snails for the sand bed. They get up on the glass too. It really depends on what kind of algae you have. Ceriths may help control the source of what is causing the algae.

I like nerites too. I have seen them flip over themselves on the sand. I think I have lost three nerites in 4 months to hermit crabs (don't know if they died first or if the crab killed them, I haven't seen a crab in a nerite shell yet) I do not really see the nerites on the glass much though, they do a great job on the rocks.

clkwrk
08/16/2006, 03:09 PM
Mine have no plobem flipping over but I have lots of flow to blow them around until they get a grip . I knock tons of snails of when I am cleaning the glass they all get back up on the glass 10-15mion latter.

The only thing I don't like is when they fall into an sps and the sps encrusts around them while they are still alive . I don't know how many snails are grown into my colonies some still feed on their shell when they can . Its sad but I not breaking apart a colony to get a 30 cent snail out

clkwrk
08/16/2006, 03:10 PM
Cerithseat astrea poop thats their best function . After the cerith are done with it ,its light enough to be blown into the water to be skimmed out .

sir_dudeguy
08/16/2006, 04:37 PM
hm...i really like the ceriths that i've got, and i'd like a bunch more of them...however the came in like $15/dozen packs...which is kinda more than i was hoping to get them, because i would want more than a dozen...is there a good alternative (or something better) than those that is cheaper? I was thinking astreas because they came in 100's and were pretty cheap (especially if it was split w/someone) but i've heard they cant right themselves?

clkwrk
08/16/2006, 04:47 PM
I have got 100 lots from reeftopia which is normaly where we order from.

From them its 75 bucks for $100 ceriths or 300 for $180