PDA

View Full Version : Switching tanks today , just a few more questions please

dpsa98
08/12/2006, 10:08 AM
Im switching from my 25g to a 46g bowfront with sump and refugium setup today. I just want to make sure how to do this without killing anything in my old tank : 2 fish , 1 cleaner shrimp, 15 assorted snails, bubble tip anenome, trumpet coral, frogspawn and assorted zoanthids and polyps. I use ocean water from a store close by. I have about a 3inch sandbed. My 25 has been set up for about 4 months.. The LFS I go to is a saltwater store and the guy told me to fill the new tank 1/2 full with the water from my old tank then remove the LR and place it into the new tank then I can remove my corals and fish and place them into plastic bins with airstones or PH. then scoop out all of my live sand into plastic bags gently put my LS around the LR in my new tank add more regular sand to the tank it will turn into LS eventually. Place as much base rock as I want with my LR it will turn into LR in a few short months. Put a flower pot in the tank and fill the rest of the way with fresh ocean water. Set up sump with skimmer and pumps under the stand. Add more live sand to refugium with I forgot what type of algae plant he told me to put in refugium but then once tank clears up in a few hours with skimmer on wet add corals and fish to tank. Does this sound correct or would you do it another way? I just want this to go as smooth as possible. Your help is greatly appreciated as always.

Dave

kau_cinta_ku
08/12/2006, 10:34 AM
well i will give your LFS guy credit as he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. it all sounds good. as for the alage in your fuge i think he was talking about cheato, or calperia(sp.) as for adding the fish and such as long as the temp and water parametrs are good you can add them, the cloudyness won't hurt them. but i would still acclumate them a little to the new water before adding

dpsa98
08/12/2006, 10:43 AM
That was the algae (cheato) I could not remember. He said that would be very beneficial to my tank and I will for sure have a healthier tank than before. He said the cheato adds a positive filtration to the tank as well as houses creatures like pods that are good for the fish. I just was not sure about adding most of my old water and all of my old sand. But he said that my sand is not old enough to be harmfull. It will be a good starter for the new regular sand to turn live.

kau_cinta_ku
08/12/2006, 10:53 AM
yep the cheato will do wonders in a fuge, good choice. as for the sand i agree it isn't much when you put it in a 46 gal. but the water you want due to having alot of bacteria in it, to help keep the tank stabolized when adding the other water

dpsa98
08/12/2006, 11:21 AM
Thank you for your help I'm excited about the new tank I will post pics of the setup if anyone is interested in looking.

kau_cinta_ku
08/12/2006, 11:41 AM
always interested in seeing others tanks so yes post pics:D