PDA

View Full Version : midnight madness

EMBRYOGUY
08/11/2006, 03:26 PM
ok who here has gone to midnight maddness? at absolutely fish?

my brother and i are contemplating going. any warnings ? :)

i think just bec it starts at midnight, is my interest :) something about hanging out with other reef nerds at midnight might be fun. any good local bars in the area?

thanks..

PhLipStyLz
08/14/2006, 10:30 PM
haha i feel the same way... i think my bud and i will be heading down there.... anyone know if the have a good selection of dry goods...

im lookin into buyin a retro t5 kit (reflectors and encaps) for cheap

BRISK495
08/14/2006, 11:39 PM
where is this and on what day?

poconofishy
08/19/2006, 11:37 PM
http://www.absolutelyfish.com/events/mm06.php

Sounds like fun, especially for a night owl like me!

coralnut99
08/21/2006, 08:02 AM
From what I've heard it can be something of a zoo. If you don't make it in the door early, you're out of luck. Their livestock is super pricey. But they do have a huge selection almost all the time. Their dry goods are the most expensive I've seen anywhere. Some(not all) of the people that work their can be downright nasty too. When I had extra time at lunch, I used to take a ride there, but now all the construction in Wayne makes it a real chore. Haven't been there in months. They used to do something that really ticked me off. If they had an sps colony that was doing poorly, they would hack it up, and set the frags in epoxy, instead of just setting them on eggcrate. Epoxy burns sps tissue to begin with, you can imagine what it does, when the coral's already stressed. You take it home thinking you got a $15 bargain, and the rtn starts right back in a few days.

EMBRYOGUY
08/22/2006, 05:12 PM
coralnut, thanks for stating your personl experiences.

from what ive gathered that seems to be the common theme.

but what i ponder is why every year, the crowds seem to get bigger and bigger.

im going based on the idea of having an event at midnight, more so than for livestock or supplies, which im happy already with my lfs suppliers.

coralnut99
08/22/2006, 09:15 PM
It's basically the selection. The place is just downright large. and wall-to-wall tanks. On just about any given day, you'll find just about all the fish species commonly found in the trade, and many others. Also for a VERY long time they were the only sw store in that neck of the woods. I'm talking for a long distance. There's a couple of places just further east of there now, that should give them a run for their money over time.

But yes, there's a bunch of places near there where you can hoist a few, well past midnight!