PDA

View Full Version : ok new problem, flatworms,now what?

fast57
08/10/2006, 06:21 PM
since being relatively new new to saltwater I thought everything new I saw was good. I now believe that I have a bad infestation of red flatworms. I realized a couple of weeks ago that I had some on my glass but failed to realize that they were really all over. I thought that they only were as big as the tiny ones on the glass but I just started to look over all the rocks and realized that all these red bumps werent a different kind of alge but i believe them to be red flatworms. They dont seem to be harming my corals or fish but I want them out! What do I do? I know about flatworm exit but what kind of precautions do I need to take while using it.? I have 2 fish and a bunch of zoo's, a bubble coral, frogspawn, arrow crab and hermits oh and snails...WHAT NOW!!

oh does anyone know anything about a product called prozipro?? is it ok to use..thats all my LFS has

superman1013
08/10/2006, 07:19 PM
I have used Flatworm Exit in my tank, follow the dosage in the box. I then suctioned out as much dead ones as possible.

bertoni
08/10/2006, 07:33 PM
I've use FWE as well. Just follow the directions very carefully. Remove as many flatworms as possible before dosing, and after dosing.

bsaastad
08/10/2006, 07:53 PM
I'll third the recommendation for FWE and restate the "follow the instructions" comment. When I use it I toss a HOB filter onto the tank for a few days running fresh carbon. Never had any ill effects.

fast57
08/10/2006, 11:54 PM
so carbon in a regular hob filter would be ok huh? should I put the foam block in there too?

Teeka
08/11/2006, 12:51 AM
I don't know if you know anybody with the white flat worms. But they only each the red ones and then die out. I had the white ones and gave them away to someone with the red one. They worked great and you add no chemicals to your tank.

bertoni
08/11/2006, 02:03 AM
I don't know what kind of foam block you mean, or what it's supposed to do. Is there a link for the product?

bsaastad
08/11/2006, 08:39 AM
I believe he's talking about the foam block that provides mechanical filtration in an aquaclear filter like this (http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/basic/4-6.cfm). I have an AquaClear 300 that I toss on to my tank when I want to run some carbon, like when using FWE.

I use the foam block mainly because it kind of holds everything in place inside the filter, although for this purpose I can't imagine it makes any functional difference since the carbon component is what we're interested in.

UrbanSage
08/11/2006, 08:48 AM
I have "dealt" with red flatworms for about six months now... I tried FWE initially but after a couple of tries they kept comming back after a while.
I have never seen anything negative as a result of their existence so I kinda left them alone and tried instead to look closer at why I had them spread in the first place.
I have now cut my feedings down signifficantly while my fish are still well fed. My problem was overfeeding and this caused an increase in flatworm population ofcourse. The last month and a half I have seen a signifficant decrease in numbers. I bet I will always have some in my tank and I guess it just doesn't bother me as long as it is under control. To me they perform a function just like my cleanup crew. PLus they are a good indicator of when I get a bit too generous with my feedings.

My point being, you can use FWE but you can also look at why they are spreading.....

bertoni
08/11/2006, 01:25 PM
I avoid mechanical filtration like the foam block, but some people prefer to use it. It's a personal choice.

To eradicate the flatworms with FWE, multiple doses are needed, usually a few days apart, since FWE doesn't appear to kill eggs.

jessp
08/11/2006, 02:30 PM
sixline wrasse will eat them, if it is to agressive give it away afterwards.

UrbanSage
08/11/2006, 02:35 PM
I have a sixline. I have never seen it eat a single flatworm. As always thins kinda solution is hit and miss.

bertoni
08/11/2006, 03:51 PM
Yes, most six-lines don't seem to the them. Every once in a while, someone finds an individual fish that will.

fast57
08/11/2006, 04:29 PM
i was guessing that maybe the foam would catch any dead bodies floating around. I just got back from the LFS with the FWE. I've been using a turkey baster to get as many out as I can. My next step will be to get some clean water ready. If you use the FWE in acouple of different doses in order to get the newly hatched ones should you follow the same procedure?

oh BTW, the filter I have is the aquaclear 300

UrbanSage
08/11/2006, 04:48 PM
A good way (also described by Melev I believe) is to use some airline tubing with a filter attached to one end, this end is placed in a sump. This way when you start syphon the water will not be drainied from the system but flatworms will be caught in the filter. I have used a micron filter for this with good success. This way you can keep sucking them little critters out for as long as needed :D

fast57
08/11/2006, 04:51 PM
unfortunatly i dont have a sump yet. I still need to figure out how to get one inside my 45gallons stand with the damn brace right in the middle.

bertoni
08/11/2006, 04:56 PM
The mechanical filtration would catch the bodies, but they need to be removed quickly, since apparently they start releasing toxins very quickly, within minutes or so.

jprince58
08/11/2006, 05:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7922208#post7922208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UrbanSage
A good way (also described by Melev I believe) is to use some airline tubing with a filter attached to one end, this end is placed in a sump. This way when you start syphon the water will not be drainied from the system but flatworms will be caught in the filter. I have used a micron filter for this with good success. This way you can keep sucking them little critters out for as long as needed :D

This works, but I've combined using FWE with a regular water change. Just siphon out the old water and replace it new. That helps take care of the dead flat worms and remove some of the residual toxins at the same time.