PDA

View Full Version : going from 30 to 60

corivus
08/10/2006, 01:28 PM
Ok so I picked up the 60 gallon from van I'm wondering if I can use my light or if I should get a new one, its a JBJ 4x 96w light not sure of the model number as its not stamped anywhere on it, it's about 36" long and seems to give my 30 pretty good coverage in fact a little bit to much for my kenya tree as it doesn't like it that much (good thing the 60 is 2" deeper :D ) but can I keep the light? I was hoping I could since its a bit larger then the 30gallon tank...

evolust
08/10/2006, 02:48 PM
LMK if your selling just the 30g tank. Looking 4 a sump

sir_dudeguy
08/10/2006, 02:53 PM
ya you should be fine w/that. I've got a 4x96 retro that i got from ryan and all my xenias, shrooms, polyps and whatnot are groing fine...i havent added anything thats too light needy yet tho, but i will put some more stuff in there when i come by some money.

it would be pretty much the same for your 60 tho...(unless its really deep, but it would still be a good light i would think) I'm not a big fan of pc's but for the money they're fine, and you've already got a pretty good one so theres no sense in buying a new one unless you wanna keep the harder ones

vanmle
08/10/2006, 03:42 PM
It depends on what you want to grow. If just kenya trees and mushrooms, then no issues.

corivus
08/11/2006, 11:00 PM
Evo, I might be selling just not sure yet, I was hoping to sell the whole setup to get a stand for the 60 but I'm thinking of building one so I'm not sure.

sir_dudeguy:
Yeah I'm thinking that because the lighting is a bit too strong like I said for my kenya and I had to move it to the very bottom of the tank so it'd be happy again.

Van:
I am liking my gsp I kinda wanna get more of those, I am interested in trying a hammer coral but I have a feeling I need better lighting...

sundevil_brian
08/11/2006, 11:21 PM
that lighting will prob be good for soties and even lps but if you wanted to do sps you would prob need to upgrade ur lighting to either t5 or mh.

vanmle
08/11/2006, 11:26 PM
I think you are OK with with GSPs. You are probably OK with the frogspawn and hammers directly underneath the light. I (actually my niece) have a hammer in a 12 DX cube with standard lighting. It is doing well.

BTW, my kenya trees are doing great, even directly under 250 W MH.

corivus
08/11/2006, 11:27 PM
oh wonder if mine just doen't like the light? It loves the dawn and dusk cycle on the lighting but hates the full daylight.... maybe its related to something else tho.