PDA

View Full Version : Serpent Star and a Seahorse?

MM51496
08/09/2006, 09:03 AM
I was sent a serpent star that is about 5 inches in one of the packages I recieved and I was wondering if this is a suitable tankmate for a seahorse, a mandarin, and 2 ocellaris clownfish? Thanks for your help.

luvabunny
08/09/2006, 11:57 AM
No. A 5" serpent star could very easily eat your horses.

BTW, what size tank do you have? Unless they are already eating frozen food (most don't) your mandarin will likely starve unless the tank is very mature, and at least 60 gallons. There is a possibility that your mandarin and seahorses will be competing for any pods which may inhabit your tank.

Also, I'm very cautious about putting any kind of clownfish with seahorses. I know many say you can, but clownfish in general are very hyper-active, unless they have an anemone, which is also a no-no with seahorses.

Maybe you could take everything, including the star to your LFS and trade them for something more seahorse friendly.

MM51496
08/09/2006, 01:09 PM
My seahorse eats frozen food and my clownfish and seahorse get along fine. They don't compete for food because he bowl feeds. I have a 40 gallon tank with 65 pounds of live rock and have plenty of pods. Do you still think there's a problem? Thanks.

CeaHorseMaShell
08/09/2006, 10:42 PM
plenty of pods is a relative term. How old is the tank itself.

**************** sells pods. I would suggest seeding your tank on a regular basis.

You can also use upside down strawberry baskets with rock crumbles underneath to breed pods so the mandarin can't get to them. Good Luck.

luvabunny
08/10/2006, 12:42 PM
It always worries me when someone says their seahorses and (whatever fish) are getting along fine.

How long have they been together? What species, color and sex is/are your seahorse? Are your clownfish an actual pair, or just 2 fish?

My gut feeling is that this may not be an ideal setup for your horse(s). A mated pair of clownfish can become extremely territorial. Also, if you have a male/female pair of seahorses, don't expect to ever see any babies because the clownfish will eat them as they are born. Both seahorses and mandarins love pods, and will eat them as much as they can, for as long as they can. If they eat them all, even tho your horses are bowl fed, the mandarin will starve.

In short, Yes, I still think there may be a problem. Most people keep seahorses in a species only tank for a reason. That is because there are so many problems that may arise when you start adding other fishes, even those that are supposedly seahorse safe.

Could you post a little more about your tank and occupants?

Brock Fluharty
08/10/2006, 12:51 PM
Also, it sounds like you only have one seahorse, which isn't a good decision. Seahorses are very social creatures, and should have a mate of their own species. Sounds like a bad environment to me...

CeaHorseMaShell
08/10/2006, 06:23 PM
second luvabunny and brocks comments

In the interest of longevity of your seahorse I would get the fish out asap. Good Luck