PDA

View Full Version : Recirc skimmer output feeding into fuge?

theatrus
08/07/2006, 06:56 PM
I'm trying out a new (due to limited stand space, guess I overbuilt my stand :) ) Sump + fuge setup where the fuge is in a separate 10 gallon tank from the sump. I'm replacing my current in sump Urchin Pro with an octopus recirculating skimmer, and in an effort to cut down on pumps, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on running the recirculating skimmer output to the fuge (input pump is in sump, goes through skimmer at about 60gph, which then overflows back to the main sump). My main concern is having the fuge be too clean after taking a very slow trip through the skimmer. I realize the normal sump setup skims the water first before passing it through to the fuge, but in those cases the skimmer hardly processes the water as much as in a slow recirculating setup.

Unbased fears? Non issue?

The Shrimp X
08/07/2006, 07:06 PM
well if you have any macro in the fuge, I doubt it would get enough nutrients to grow... In other words... the only thing your fuge would be usefull for would be for pods and such...
JMO

theatrus
08/07/2006, 07:16 PM
Well my worry is the opposite :) Nitrates cannot be removed through skimming (only the longer amino acids and proteins which will eventually decompose into nitrates). I'm more worried about the microorganism population.

PatrickJ
08/07/2006, 08:22 PM
You will be fine. You algae will still grow. It is rediculous to think otherwise. If that was the case. A protein skimmer would be all you need to keep an aquarium.

Could you imagen a protein skimmer producing pure seawater, void of any algae causing nutrients? WOW!

poppin_fresh
08/07/2006, 08:44 PM
I am going to change my system around so my skimmer gets all the raw tank water first. Currently my 'fuge and skimmer are split 50/50, but I get a ton of detritus in the 'fuge. I am not worried about the skimmer removing too much, I dont think its possible.

Hop
08/07/2006, 10:10 PM
My fuge ran that way for about a year. 100 gallon fuge fed from water from my MRC. Macros still grew, snails and crabs lived and appearantly the pod population didn't suffer either:)

theatrus
08/07/2006, 10:22 PM
Glad to hear Hop :) Saves on pumps

[looks at PG&E bill] :(

Hop
08/07/2006, 11:08 PM
I hear ya! I had overkill on one pump that cost near $100 a month for just the one pump... That pump went bye-bye in a hurry.