PDA

View Full Version : Acan growth

pixburg-reefer
08/07/2006, 06:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

Why is it that Acans will not grow over there old corallites? I have a lord that is lime green and tan. I bought it as a frag several months ago. On the same little rock, there is some dead skeleton where the tissue has died away on certain polyps. Why is it the coral will not re-grow over these? What if I crushed them down to make it a flatter surface? The only growth that I am seeing is budding around the edges of the polyp which is good but it doesn't seem to have anymore space to grow out on so I'm not sure what to do because it's even starting to grow underneath the rock since it has no where else. I have never fragged an Acan either, so if anyone has any good tips or knows of other threads where it has been discussed please post it. (I wish that search button worked more often...)

Thanks,

Kelly

Bcollins111900
08/07/2006, 07:09 PM
I agree on the search button feature, it is almost worthless anymore. Back to your questin, I have had acans in the past that have re-grown over old skeleton. They seem to grow better on fresh rock, but I have had success with them on dead skeletons. For fragging, get a dremel and a diamond wheel and zip it in half or however you want it. I have fragged this way for a long time. Take part of the exsposed skeleton and cut it off straight. Find a piece of flat live rock and cut it off straight as well. Then glue the acan and live rock flush to each other and you are set.

pixburg-reefer
08/07/2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the helpful info!!! Maybe I should just frag it. If I were to cut a polyp in half would it die off or build the rest of the corallite back?

Kelly

Bcollins111900
08/07/2006, 07:32 PM
re-grow.

All Delight
08/09/2006, 02:43 PM
I've had a micromussa get stung and the polyp died, but it is starting to regrow slowing. It's been about 3 months and half of the polyp has grown back. But there is no new growth over the live rock.

miwoodar
08/22/2006, 09:49 AM
Regarding the search button...you will get higher priority in the search feature if you sign up as a premium member.

djmuzzi
08/23/2006, 02:49 PM
does it even work for regular members anymore?

lalc
08/23/2006, 03:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7997972#post7997972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by djmuzzi
does it even work for regular members anymore?

Yes it works for me but only when the west coast is sleeping---No ! I am not joking as I have had good luck getting on every morning here on the East Cost. But lately I have been using MonsterFishKeepers.com not as many members but a real friendly site.

Justin74
08/23/2006, 03:06 PM
search button no:rolleyes: Ive tried at 11pm,12,1am,2am,3 am on every day of the week,the buttons dead dudes :(. Unless of course your like miwoodar, you know, one of those... :p

Hey Kelly, ideally if you cut a polyp in half they both should regrow assuming there environment is stable, but $|-|iT happens, just use clean tools. I like to follow up any fragging with fresh carbon, could be just me, but I feel reasurred. That any toxins can be absorbed up as to not irratate other corals, and also prevent other corals chemicals from irratating a newly fragged coral.

-Justin

lux_06
08/24/2006, 08:42 AM
yeh the search tool works fine for me cos im in Aus! but i have to put up with the entire site being shutdown for a half hour when i just get home from work and sit down to do some research!

a tip someone else pointed out the other day so i cant take the credit... was to use google and the advanced search option and then allow goodle to search only through reef central, works great.

lalc
08/24/2006, 10:28 AM
I will have to try it.

smp
08/24/2006, 02:30 PM
It's not rocket surgery!!!

Go to RC's main page and on the left column you'll see a link titled "search tools", click that one!!!

Justin74
08/24/2006, 03:37 PM
I thought everyone knew that :p
Just not the same smp.

-Justin

lalc
08/24/2006, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8004921#post8004921 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smp
It's not rocket surgery!!!

Go to RC's main page and on the left column you'll see a link titled "search tools", click that one!!!
It’s brain science!

jezzeaepi
08/24/2006, 06:26 PM
Just spend a couple dollars an support the site... its not like the place isnt invaluable, and bandwidth isnt free.

lalc
08/24/2006, 07:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8006507#post8006507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jezzeaepi
Just spend a couple dollars an support the site... its not like the place isnt invaluable, and bandwidth isnt free.

I totally agree with you, It just feels very commercial to me, and that’s the last thing I wish to take from this hobby/obsession. It seams like other sites cover there cost with advertising. I don’t no what RC is up against that ad-space and merchandise would not cover. But then again I don’t know a lot of things.