PDA

View Full Version : OverFlows and Power Outage

joubentwin
08/07/2006, 12:21 PM
Here in starkville, the city has been under large power demands lately and power goes off often now. How do people with overflows and sumps stop their tanks from flooding when the power goes off and on? Or better yet can you offer a solution to my problem.

I have a cpr overflow going down to my sump, when the power goes out the siphon is broken, water back siphons from the return down to the sump (almost overflows the sump), then when the power comes back on the pump returns the water from the sump to the tank but the overflow is not returning water to the sump and I overflow the tank. Luckily I have been home during the first few power outs, but now during the week I work and have just turned everything off to avoid a problem and just run a canister filter.

Couple of solutions I thought might work but would appreciate input:
aqua lifter pump
computer back up battery, (just can't find one with a long enough supply)

Rendos
08/07/2006, 12:30 PM
Hook up a powerhead to the little nipple at the top of the CPR overflow. This will suck the air out of the overflow and allow water to flow again.

SA057
08/07/2006, 01:38 PM
I am not sure what your overflow looks like but mine is DIY. I have a 1" tube and put a small plastic fitting on top of mine and have a $12 aqualifter hooked to it. The pump pulls all the air out of my overflow and keeps the water flowing. It sounds like yours has a place to hook up one too. Cheap fix.

wjhuie
08/07/2006, 02:26 PM
I dont like the cpr overflows for that reason. I used standard u tube overflows for years and they always restarted after a power outage. I have hreard nothing but bad things about the cpr overflows

wjhuie
08/07/2006, 02:27 PM
What model is it?

neuroslicer
08/07/2006, 02:41 PM
To facilitate water movement throughout the tank (65 gal), I put a CPR overflow at each end (a CS50 and a CS90). I've got an aqualifter pump on each to keep the air out and the siphon working, and I've not had any problems with power outages. Plus, if one fails (like the time a large piece of seaweed clogged one up), the other can handle the overload. I've got 5 return lines to the tank, and in each I have a small hole drilled to release suction which would cause the sump to overflow.

aharvey
08/07/2006, 02:49 PM
With the CPR Overflow you have to have either the Aqualifter pump or the Richard solution with the powerhead. APC and Belkin make a 1500 Watt UPS that sells for around $199.00 depending on the pump size might give a couple of hours of power but if they run out of juice you are right back to the flooded room when the lights come back on! Richards solution will work or the Aqualifter will work as long as the backflow preventer on the CPR isn't broken.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product31.html

Not the cheapest place to buy one (I got mine for $12.00 plus shipping) but you hook airline to CPR then the input side of AquaLifter then airline from other AquaLifter port back to tank.

joubentwin
08/07/2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your help, I just ordered the aqualifter pump. I should be okay now.

Jecco
08/09/2006, 01:23 PM
Be careul when useing the powerhead solution for the CPR overflow. Once a week make sure you take a tooth pick and clean out the connector on top of the overflow as well as the siphon tube. They get clogged up really easy. If the're clogged and siphon is broken on the overflow, when the power returns the tank will still overflow. I've had really good success with this method just remember to clean the powerhead for the overflow once a month, and the connector and siphon tube once a week.

Reefdiver77
08/09/2006, 08:29 PM
I also have a sump and overflow. Unsure of the brand on the overflow, but it came with the Sealife Systems Wet/Dry Sump. I bought all of them at Goodwill. My U Tube has no "nipple" at the top of it. Our power goes off often out here in the country. My water backflows, but I never fill the sump above my "safeline" so when the water backflows into the sump everything is cool. My u tube does not lose its siphon when the power goes out. It is a 1 inch utube and I use a pump rated at 600gph. I have had a few overflows and they are not fun. My problem was there was a restriction in the tubing just before it went into the SCWD. This caused the siphon to break. Since I fixed the restriction, no problems with overflows and my husband is very happy!!