PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Frag...Can You Help Identify?

NanoKat
08/06/2006, 08:25 PM
Excuse my ignorance if this is in the wrong section, but I am mystified by a frag that someone gave me. I just wanted to get some identification so that I can properly care for it. It is about 1 1/2" in diameter with about 1/8" polyps that are a very light green. The frag is about 3" long, but only the end has live polyps on it, the rest is the remaining skeleton.

Here's a pic of it with the polyps extended...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/FramerKat/94496fd4.jpg

And here's one where only some are out and you can see some of the skeletal structure...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/FramerKat/fcf98653.jpg

Is it an LPS? That's what I am guessing, that is why I am posting here. I was told it may be a "flower pot" when I described it to a fellow reefer.

Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

bluenassarius
08/06/2006, 08:31 PM
flower pot coral?

NanoKat
08/06/2006, 08:42 PM
From what I can find on the web, the flower pot corals extend their polyps out further and they resemble more of a zoo type head. These polyps don't seem to have the tentacles around the perimeter as those do. These have only extended about 1/4" from the skeleton so far also.

Still wondering....

marillion
08/06/2006, 08:45 PM
Either goniopora or alveopora.

Can't remember which one has 12 and which has 24 nodules on the polyp...

Peace,

Chip

NanoKat
08/06/2006, 08:53 PM
A search of Alveopora says that they have 12 tentacles on each polyp. Photos I can find are much closer looking to this specimen than the gonipora. Now, of course, I am finding that people use the common name "Flower Pot" for both of these varieties...just to confuse me further.

I think once it is better acclimated to my tank and the polyps extend further, I may be able to better identify.

Al G Blenny
08/06/2006, 08:57 PM
That is a very bleached and dying Goni. Sorry to say but that coral isn't going to make it. Gonis are hard enough to keep without them being on their way out the door.

Pacman100
08/06/2006, 10:37 PM
Yes, I think it will die soon too. I'd say it was an alveopora though (12 petal tips).

ACBlinky
08/07/2006, 01:26 AM
Agreed. Bleached, likely dying, Alveopora. These guys are incredibly difficult to keep, very few people manage it.

BS
08/07/2006, 07:25 AM
I'd try feeding it DT's oyster eggs...... all your out is the cost of the food......

katpurdy
08/07/2006, 08:07 AM
they will eat cyclopeez as well...put a cut in half 2L pop bottle over it in order for the food to stay targeted...it doesn't was "direct light" but will need moderate current...good luck...keep us posted.

CivilReef
08/07/2006, 09:33 AM
It's an avelopora that looks like it got bleached out a little.

ReefDoctorMicromussas
08/07/2006, 03:14 PM
A dying avelopora has lost all of its Z

NanoKat
08/07/2006, 07:39 PM
Well, I will trust the words of Julian Sprung then and try to supplement with iron and manganese which might possibly reverse the condition. I'm not holding alot of hope, but it's certainly worth a try...

justincognito
08/07/2006, 09:21 PM
Feed it once or twice a day, with cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, and other meaty foods. You can do it!!! YES!!!

ReefDoctorMicromussas
08/08/2006, 09:12 AM
You can save it... When I very first started I had a carpet anemone I bought that was white and green LOL IM an idiot when I bought it I didnt know WHITE is bad!... Regular feedings colored it up :) and it survived

NanoKat
08/08/2006, 06:10 PM
Well, the polyps are still trying to extend, so it may be doing okay. I am dosing and am going to try some direct feeding. Keep your fingers crossed for me. It looks like it may be an Alveopora Japonica, but I can't be sure unless I can see its real coloration and the tentacles extended.

Thanks for all of your input!

tgfrench
08/12/2006, 08:42 AM
Its a very bleached alveopora, which are not as difficult as the goni. Good luck getting it to come back. I got a Goni. that was bleached worse than that and the tenticles weren't even extending. Plenty of zoo/phytoplankton brought it back. My goni even captures small pieces of shrimp/fish mix that i feed to my sun corals. I'm not sure its eating it but it will capture and hold it forever. Just keep an eye on it and a lil TLC and you might get a nice piece from it.
terry

salt newbie01
08/12/2006, 08:47 PM
I would agree alveopora. They need VERY small particles to properly feed, even moreso when weak. Cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, dt's (or even better phyto feast from reed mariculture) you can also take a frozen cube of mysis shrimp and use a knife to "shave" off 1/2 of the cube, then mix that mush with the phyto feast or dt's, throw in the cyclopeeze and direct feed. You need to turn off your pumps and squirt the solution right over the coral. I would think it can be saved just needs some daily TLC. Look for posts from john kelly, he has great sucess with these and goni's. HTH

Serioussnaps
08/15/2006, 05:21 AM
its expelling zooxanthellae by the way(ie bleaching)