PDA

View Full Version : Scolymia, in the sand or not?

Stipe
08/05/2006, 06:44 AM
Does a Scolymia need to be in the sand or can it go on the rocks. Or does it prefer the sand. I dont care about how it looks i just want it to be happy, so sand or not?

Bcollins111900
08/05/2006, 10:07 AM
Sand IMO is the best. If it is on the rocks it can cut itself so I would place it on the sand.

Genin
08/05/2006, 06:59 PM
mine is happy where the flow is lowest and where the light isn't so intense. mine is on the rocks, but used to be happy on the sand as well. i think the flow and lights are the bigger issue to tackle with these corals. if you do put it on the rocks make sure it is secure like Bcollins is saying, otherwise it may fall and injure its soft flesh.

FCdenzreef
08/06/2006, 01:09 AM
i say sand, their tissue is so delicate that i would be worried about it getting torn and possibly getting a bacterial infection. i have one that loves the sand!

Stipe
08/06/2006, 05:43 AM
My guys skin is like a toadstools. IT is thick and rought. I doubt it will get ripped. Not saying it wont, i wouldnt have a clue.

Im going to place him the in sand. I will burry everythign but the flesh part so he looks like a plate. Hope this will make him happy.

Flow on the sand isnt great but i can add more, so add more or not?

Genin
08/06/2006, 07:07 AM
i would say no. they are a low flow coral.