PDA

View Full Version : Fish Only Filter

Bobby115
05/30/2002, 08:40 AM
I currently have a 40 gallon Fish only tank with a sump as my way of filtration.

I would like to get rid of the sump and use a POWERFUL HANG ON FILTER

(Something like the whisper hang on's but not that brand)

Would this be enought filtration?? Some of these units I see can be used on tanks up to 100 gallons.............I dont have anything else in the sump except the pump to push the water back in...........

My heater and powerheads are in the tank.......Please let me know........

Thanks in advance

Bobby

Bobby115
05/30/2002, 03:10 PM
??ANYONE??

Thanks

Salyers890
05/30/2002, 04:05 PM
if you gave us a description of what you are keeping/plan on keeping in your tank and if you have any LR, how much that'd help out a lot. . . .

just curious, how come you want to get rid of your sump? it adds water volume, gets rid of unsightly heaters/pumps in the aquarium, gives more space for the fish, and allows more room for personalized media. i would kill to have sumps on all my systems, but too much $.

if you've got an empty sump, you might want to consider either the burlin method, or the ecosystem method of filtration.

burlin - LR and a good skimmer, and if you don't have predators, a DSB.

ecosystem - Miracle mud and caulerpa under 24/7 lights for nutrient export.

Personally, i've only got one saltwater tank, it's a fish only using the ecosystem method. during the 8 week cycle, i watched the ammo, nitrIte, and nitrAte all fall to zero. NO water changes whatsoever. the only thing i've done is clean the prefilter, pump, and add top-off water. i've only got a light bioload though (3 damsels and a flame hawk) right now in a 40gal w a 20g sump.

i spent 120 on the mud, about 10 on different strands of caulerpa, and 15 on a LOA 27w fixture.

a good HOB filter is an emperor400, but that's a nitrate factory and you'd need to be REALLY up on your water changes. if you go with this method, i'd recommend a good skimmer to give you more room for error. the HOT magnum is a good HOB filter, with it's versatility (micron cartridge, media placement, little media bypass), but again, i would, and i imagine most everyone here would recommend a skimmer also.

i'm no pro, so don't take what i wrote as words to live by, but just my experience. either way, good luck and keep asking questions.
Mike

espi360
05/30/2002, 04:28 PM
If you are looking for a hang on, a penguin 440 is ok, I used one fer a few years. also the mentioned living mud system works well too. a bit pricey but its ok ( I personaly cant sell the darn things).
Also there is a new filter due out soon from www.commodityaxis.com that is a combo "whisper" hang on and internal venturi skimmer. they are nice I seen it at FPMA in NJ Backer show. it will retail fer like 50.00 I believe. check it out.

Camron Barr
05/30/2002, 09:58 PM
a good filter/skimmer is the bac pac 2 it is a skimmer then as the water returns it flowns through a system called the bio bale higly efficent i higly recomend one
cam