PDA

View Full Version : phytoplankton density?

dmbnpj
08/04/2006, 03:12 PM
I have the microalgae density stick from florida aqua farms. I am using it to measure the density of the phytoplankton I am growing myself. The stick says it measures Nannochloropsis, chlorella, nannchloris, tetraselmus, dunaliella, and isochrysis. Which one of those is phytoplankton? Basically, how do I use this stick?

thanks!
-jeff

Steven Pro
08/04/2006, 03:21 PM
I don't know how you use the stick, but everything you listed is phytoplankton, merely different genera.

dmbnpj
08/04/2006, 06:37 PM
Anyone else have this stick and know which one to use?

bertoni
08/04/2006, 07:53 PM
What species are you raising? The starter culture should come with a name.

dmbnpj
08/04/2006, 08:38 PM
No idea got it from a fellow RCer in the mail. Say I use DT's which is what I plan on switching to. What would it be then?

bertoni
08/04/2006, 08:44 PM
DT's is a mixture, and probably won't start a reliable culture all that easily. I expect it'd turn into a Nannochloropsis mono-culture after a while.

I'd guess you have Nannochloropsis, since it's common, but without a name, I'm only guessing.

dmbnpj
08/05/2006, 11:21 AM
From reading on here, DT's is the best to start a culture with?

dmbnpj
08/05/2006, 01:25 PM
What is an acceptable reading for phytoplankton in order to start using it to add to the tank? I bought the density stick just to see if the culture I am brewing is still alive. I just got a reading of 2 cm which according to the chart is 19.2 million per ml. Is my culture still alive? It looks fairly dark but I'm a newbie to this.

bertoni
08/05/2006, 02:09 PM
I haven't grown phytoplankton. Your culture is likely okay. The company that sold you the density sticks also sells starter cultures of a number of species. That's where I'd start.

dmbnpj
08/05/2006, 02:30 PM
Yah, but DT's is so reliable and others have started cultures with using that. Since its readily available to me at my LFS, I plan on going with that.
Im wondering what readings others go with before they start to use their culture on their tank?