PDA

View Full Version : Wall Hammer brown jelly.

GreyHawk1968
08/03/2006, 03:49 PM
I purchased a wall hammer at the lfs for 5 bucks. Thought I would try to rid it of the brown jelly. Maybe it was a wrong move but I knew it would die if I left it there so I picked it up. Darn thing is bigger than my hand.
Anywho.... most reading I do talks about freshwater bath or dips in iodine. Are these effective? I have manually removed about as much as you can with a soft toothbrush and a small syringe. Now it has been placed in my 29 reef that only houses soft corals. I didn't know if this stuff would effect other corals so I didn't put it in my 75 with my stony corals.
I have also read about cutting the coral and disposing of the bad part. Any opinions?
Tanks in advance.:cool:

David Grigor
08/03/2006, 05:29 PM
You can certainly try to dip without fragging but don't wait too long. If after you dip and clean it out the best you can you see even a hint of it continuing it's time to frag it off.

You need to cut 1/2" into the healthy flesh when you decide to frag as to be sure you don't get leave any jelly behind. Even then it might continue.

All you can do is your best but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

seaduck
08/04/2006, 10:56 AM
Hey greyhawk1968, did u get it at marine warehouse on Hillsborough ave? I saw a similar hammer there but passed on it. I posted about it before I saw ur post.

jhorricks
08/04/2006, 02:16 PM
Let a power head blow off all the dead tissue and then frag it down the road or right now.