PDA

View Full Version : Torch coral bleaching.. frogspawn and hammer are fine.. Why?

PufferFish87
08/03/2006, 01:01 PM
Title says it all.. My torch coral is bleaching.. my frogspawn and hammer coral are fine..

I got the torch and frogspawn from someone locally who had them under 175 MH as well..

I have 2 175 MH 15K's the torch is at the bottom.. Frogspawn near the top and hammer in the middle..

Whats the problem?

David Grigor
08/03/2006, 03:16 PM
Pretty vague description. Doubt anyone can determine from the information given. Can merely speculate.

Since you got it locally, have you talked to the person where it came from perhaps to help you determine. Such as where it was located in his/her tank, water parameters ( temp being a key one with bleaching ) it came from, etc. What K bulbs was he running and how old were they?

Just because it came from another system with 175M doesn't mean it will acclimate easily to your system. Bleaching in most cases ( but not necessarily the only reason ) from lighting differences and/or placement difference, or temp. difference. The person who you got it from should be able to help more than someone in a thread who is not familiar with your system or the coral.

If it is bleached, you will probably want to feed it to help it recover since most of the symbionic algae is gone.

PufferFish87
08/03/2006, 03:42 PM
My parameters are all in check.. Its just very weird.. I've had these for a few months and I just noticed it is starting to bleach.. The lights are only about 4 months old. I havent been feeding the torch coral directly only feeding the tank.. Could this be the cause? Regardless I know I need to start feeding them because they dont have the algea anymore.. I just find it so odd that they'd start bleaching all of a sudden.

jhorricks
08/04/2006, 02:18 PM
Its to far away from the lights. move it up and over time it will probably regain its pigment.