PDA

View Full Version : My brain is dying?

divemasterjim
08/02/2006, 10:56 PM
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3180/dscn0306sb2.jpg

I had him on the sand and thought he has some algae on him but it wont come off I think it is dead spots. I moved him off the sand and onto a rock.

gobind
08/03/2006, 03:02 AM
HI HOW FAR IS HE FROM THE LIGHTS
LOOKS TO ME LIKE HE HASENT RECEIVED ENOUGH LIGHT. PUT HIM HIGHER HE SHOULD STILL RECOVER.

Genin
08/03/2006, 07:05 AM
i agree that the brain does look bleached out.

Mrs.kbmdale
08/03/2006, 01:51 PM
First of all, what are ALL of your water parameters, tanks dimensions, and what kind and how much lighting do you currently have??

I must say though, I agree that your brain is wasting away due to lack of lighting. "IMO" If you do not have at LEAST 6 watts per gallon of lighting with the coral placed mid-tank, it will most certainly die. It also needs to be spot fed MEATY foods at LEAST once a week. Preferably 3x a week. Meaty foods include table shrimp, scallops, squid, silversides, mysis, and enriched brine. Chop it up and use a syringe or small turkey baster to "spot" feed it. You should start feeding it ASAP if it still has feeder tenticles that come out either at night or when you feed the rest of the tank, and you really should start slowly moving it up. Like an Inch a week until its at least mid tank, or top tank- depending on your lighting.

Give us some more info and we'll try to help.

Good Luck and Happy Reefing,
Brianna:rollface:

Mrs.kbmdale
08/03/2006, 01:52 PM
Oh, and gobind, take those CAP LOCKS OFF!!!!!!!! This is cyberspace, and your screaming at us ;)

divemasterjim
08/03/2006, 06:42 PM
I have a 60 gallon tank with about 4 watts per gallon
water parameters are normal
I had him at the bottom in the sand and moved him up on some rocks yesterday.
I have only seen his feeder tenticles out when the lights where out.

Mrs.kbmdale
08/03/2006, 11:47 PM
I'm stickin to what I said above.
As far as feeding it, prepare some sort of meaty food - frozen, fresh,doesn't matter- soak in some tank water till thawed if frozen, for about 5minutes if fresh. Then feed a little to the tank for the fish and inverts. Then lightly squeeze with a syringe/turkeybaster some of the juices/tankwater over the brain to elicit a feeding response. Here's the kicker, go be busy away from the tank for about 10-15 min, when you come back the brain should have some feeder tentacles out. Feed the rest of the food to the brain. If you can feed just one mouth, then eventually, the others will produce feeders too. I would feed it every other day until it starts looking better, then back off to 1-3x a week.

Good Luck and Happy Reefing!