PDA

View Full Version : brain and flow

m3rcury
08/02/2006, 09:11 PM
i'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but i just wanted to double check. i just got a new brain and i have it at one end of a 36 inch tank. at the other end is a seio 620 pump. the nozzle is not pointed directly down at the sand where the brain is, but there is what i would call moderate flow. should i adjust the nozzle so that the sand where the brain is gets "low" flow?

here is a pic :-)

http://stupiddoes.com/17s/m3rcury/aq3.JPG

Genin
08/03/2006, 07:03 AM
my brain is accepting of pretty moderate flow, i run a mag7 for my return pump and a maxijet 1200 in my 30g tank. maybe yours does like lower flow and you may have to try and dull the current more in the area that the brain is located to. sometimes the lowest area of current is right under the powerhead.

m3rcury
08/03/2006, 01:12 PM
how will i know if it prefers the lower flow? will it open up more?

m3rcury
08/03/2006, 09:26 PM
anyone ?

IslandCrow
08/03/2006, 09:52 PM
I don't think they like a lot of flow, but you need to make sure you have enough to keep any detritus from settling on the flesh. Mine folded up a little when I moved it, and I think it was because it didn't like the flow as much. It hasn't been getting as much in its new home. It's also lower in the tank, though, so it could be a lighting issue.

pkolenda
08/04/2006, 08:51 PM
Yours looks a little unhappy. It is not inflated. Try to use low low flow.

Once it is aclimated you can increase the flow. Also try to feed it. Offer it meaty food.

You might want to put it in someplace that is medium to low light during the aclimation. I started mine under some other corals. Now it sits in the middle of my tank on the sand.

Good luck. It looks healthy.

Genin
08/05/2006, 07:02 PM
m3cury,
yes it is happier if it expands and inflates itself.

roktsintst
08/05/2006, 11:56 PM
I have two brains and both mine like a little flow. When you can see the skeleton of the brain, its not happy.