PDA

View Full Version : Almost gave up after power outage!

djrab52
08/02/2006, 08:55 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I feel the pain of so many reefers who become frustrated and break down their tanks after a power outage or something else destroys their reef. My situation happened this past weekend, started on Friday and ended on Saturday night. I don't want to give up company names but lets just say I live in PA, near Philly. Oh, did I mention it all started while I was out of town on business. Anyway, the storm came thru early Friday afternoon and it knocked down trees onto the power lines in the back of my house. I had the power line going to my house laying on my children's playground and across the rest of my yard.

The problem comes into play because the wife contacted the power company and let them know the situation and they informed her they would fix the problem ASAP. Well, of course they didn't and I didn't come back into town until late that Friday evening. So, the tank has been without power for 5 hours so far, and I sent the wife and newborn baby to her mother's. So, now I call the power company and ask again how long and they tell me by 3 in the morning. Well, I knew that wasn't going to happen - and I call a little later and now I hear by 4 p.m. the next day. Now, I did the best I could by making waves in the tank, but I couldn't stay in the house in the dark all night. OK, before anyone throws it in my face, it is my fault for not bying battery powered pumps.

This is the heart braking part, because I had to leave the tank. Next day, the wife and her sister went by the house at 7 a.m. and gave me the bad news. Most of the fish were gone, and the last few were gasping for air. Of course at this point I am saying to myself that I am done with the reef. I finally made it back to the house about 10 a.m. with a buddy of mine and we started to remove what died and started to save the survivors. Now, I will list what did not make it:

9" Blonde Naso Tang with streamers
6" Lieutenant Tang
5" Male Watanabei Angel
5" Female Watanabei Angel
6" Male Genicanthus melanospilos from Fiji
4" Male Psuedochromis
Harem of Anthias

Now the only fish that survived after I rented a generator were:
Purple Tang, GSM Clown, Lawn Mower Blenny, and a Damsel in my sump.

Needless to say I calmed down after a few hours and the power company informed me I could file a claim for my losses. So long story short, the power came on at 7:30 the next night and the corals and inverts seemed to be fine.

Now I have to plan for a backup generator for the house and restock very slowly. Now, if anyone has links to backup generators could you please send them to me. I found one at Home Depot for $3000 installed, which powers 8 breakers in the event of an outage. I want a permanent fixture like this:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_160_94&products_id=370

pnsnowboard
08/02/2006, 09:17 PM
im really sry to hear about the loss i need to get myself a generator

TrojanScott
08/02/2006, 09:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I just purchased a 5300W generator from HD, (on sale.) I see your tank is a 315, but really, why such a large generator? I was just looking for one to run my pumps for circulation, (fans if needed, or heater) and my fridge to save my food. Anything more than a few days, and I should be fine. I don't need to run my whole house. Candles can give me light, and I certainly don't need the TV.

lt34
08/02/2006, 09:26 PM
Sorry for your loss. Living here in Florida and getting hit by Hurricanes Charley, Frances, and Jean in one year and Wilma coming close. I got a generator. Then found out it cuoldn't power much. a 7kw isn't much. Our home depot had 15kw generators for close to the same price. Find out what you need. Since I am on a well, a 15kw wasn't big enough as if the A/C and Well kicked on at the same time would blow the circuit. Plus the type your looking at doesn't include the LP tank that needs to bought and hopefully buried. They are great generators just look for a good deal and find out what you need.:rollface:

lt34
08/02/2006, 09:30 PM
Remember I was looking to power the whole house, if you just want the tank, then smaller would work fine. We plan on the worse as some of us was without power for weeks. I don't know about ice storms or snow storms that might cause you to lose power for long periods. If it snows here, it is only flurries.

masterqaz
08/02/2006, 09:34 PM
power is prolly going to go out for me some time tonight as there is quite the storm going on outside right now. I was taking my girlfriend home and on the way you could see the lights on pretty much everything flickering. Im prepared to stay up all night and tend to the tank.

djrab52
08/02/2006, 09:38 PM
TrojanScott,

I need a generator to also power parts of the house in an emergency, not just the tank. I don't want to have to leave home when this happens again.

lt34,

The 15kw generators listed at my home depot were about $1100 more. Also, I don't really understand these generators and someone tried to tell me they run with natural gas. How big are the LP tanks and how do you fill them if they are buried?

jeffbrig
08/02/2006, 09:43 PM
A generator was on my equipment list before I even started putting my 250g together. Absolutely necessary in FL (Frances, Jean, Katrina, and Wilma in the past 2 seasons). My tank survived 6 days without power after Wilma. 7kW can power plenty of things if you manage your loads properly. I have not installed a transfer switch, and rely on extension cords to power essentials only. I'm able to run my fridge, microwave, TV/satellite, household lights/fans, and all my aquariums (display and quarantine), plus some stuff for the neighbors. I run the aquariums with reduced lighting and flow, to help manage heat, and limit the load placed on the generator (gas rationing).

djrab52
08/02/2006, 09:46 PM
jeffbrig,
I was thinking about the portable also, but I was worried if I am not at home since I travel so much for work. Also, I don't want the wife dealing with starting up a generator at night or at all really.