PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Planning to convert to Marine reef.

SKAustin
08/02/2006, 07:04 PM
Ok, here goes. It is happening. It's not a matter of "if" anymore. It is a matter of "when". After months of tossing the idea around in my head and occasionally pitching it to the OH, The neighbors acquiring a full SW setup (yes, "acquiring", lucky dogs got a 30 gallon setup given to them at no charge) has sealed the deal. We now have plans to convert our 55 gallon (48"x13"x21") FW tank into a marine reef.

The plans, thus far, are as follows:
Lighting upgrade to a 48" 4x65W Coralife LUNAR Aqualight Deluxe Series
(2x Actinic and 2x 10,000K, 4x 3/4W Blue LEDs)

Rena XP3 for filtration until funds are available to purchase an Aquarium Life Support Systems MR-500 trickle filter/sump kit.

Skimmer and additional needs pending additional research.

Plans so far for livestock are soft corals, a few clownfish, scooter blenny. Again, still pending more research. Please if you have suggestions, let me know.

Now some of my questions are:
Will the Rena XP3 suffice for filtration for the first 6 months?
What type of maintenance is necessary when using the Rena Canister filter?
Is the Sump idea, the best course of action?
What type of maintenance is involved with a trickle filter/sump?Are there any recommendations for a good protien skimmer at a fair price?
How many power heads should I have in this size tank?
Is the lighting upgrade sufficient for a reef tank?
I have test kits for Nh3/Nh4, No2, No3, Ph, High Ph, Gh, Kh, and Po3-4, are there any others I should invest in?
LFS recommends 15% water change every 2 weeks, Is this about right?
Can anyone provide links for additional information or good equipment retailers?
What other considerations do I need to make? Am I forgetting anything?

I am in the research stage now, and would like to have all my I's dotted and T's crossed before delving into this. Any and all input is very greatly appreciated.

Please, anything you can add, don't hesitate to do so. Remember, I'm new to this so I need to know as much as possible. :D

lvpd186
08/02/2006, 07:42 PM
With doing all the research before hand I think you will steer clear of some of the headaches and problems. As far as your list of equipment IMO I think you need to reconsider or change some things. There are allot of successful reef keepers that have no mechanical filtration at all (the Rena XP3 would fall in to this category). Canister filters tend to load up on detris and raise your nitrates. You will also find in your research that most people who buy a wet/dry sump end up ditching the bio-balls and converting it to just a sump. My advise would be to buy a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium, use it for a sump, and spend the money that you would have on the MR-500 on the best protein skimmer that you can afford. IMO a skimmer is essential, but others have had luck with out one. The lights you picked out should be fine. The next thing you should think about is the flow in your tank. besides the return pump you will probably need additional power heads in the tank. I have two, one on either side of the tank, that seems to keep the flow in the tank going. Lastly research and plan what king of livestock you add to the tank. There are some coral that are aggressive and will "fight" other corals. There are also lots of fish that you should avoid putting in to a reef tank. Scott Micheals book of marine fish is a great research tool. Good luck and have fun. :rollface:

SKAustin
08/03/2006, 05:01 AM
So not the rena? well that wont break my heart.

Are there any models/brands/styles of skimmer i should be considering? are there any I should avoid?

serpentman
08/03/2006, 07:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7869414#post7869414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SKAustin
So not the rena? well that wont break my heart.

Are there any models/brands/styles of skimmer i should be considering? are there any I should avoid?

I would steer clear of the SeaClone models. They seem to be pitfall that a lot of us have fallen in because of their pricing. Without significant modification, IMO they are useless. I hear a lot of good things about the EuroReef skimmers.

smcdonn
08/03/2006, 09:47 AM
Get a EuroReef or an ASM. I bought a EuroReef when h20tropicals were selling the blems because it was cheaper than the ASM. Overall though the ASM's are a little cheaper than the euroreefs and people seem to have great luck with them. I agree that you should just buy a small tank for a sump rather than the mechanical filtration. I bought a 29gallon aquarium for a sump on my 75 gallon and love it. Have a bunch of Macro growing in it and have a crushed coral bed to help buffer the PH since I just used the silica play sand for my DSB in the main tank. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers

nickterp
08/03/2006, 10:04 AM
If you want to go with a Hang On Back skimmer that is easier to setup and also performs really well, I'm using an AquaC Remora with the optional skimming box. That combined with two MaxiJet1200 powerheads (set up like lvpd186 mentioned) keep the tank very clear and clean!

I would also definitely look into buying like 50 or 60 pounds of live rock and adding that to the tank before you start cycling. Eventually most people with they had added it, or want to add more, and then they have the trouble of curing the rock with live fish in the aquarium. Also look into a "cleaning crew" for you tank (hermit crabs and snails), there's lots of info online about this.

Overall your research and equipment looks like its off to a good start! Also I like how your livestock choices are appropriate for your tank size and also good for beginners.

Most of all, read about the cycling process, there are alot of step by step startup procedures for saltwater tanks online. If you follow all those suggestions, take your time (don't rush or ignore the suggested cycling time), add your livestock one or two at a time. Like after the cycling is done... add a pair of clownfish. Wait a month, parameters look good, everyone is healthy, add the scooter blenny, etc.

Sk8r
08/03/2006, 10:39 AM
I have a 52 corner with a 10 gallon sump [wish it were larger!] containing a heater, an Urchin skimmer, a mag 9.5 return pump. My 52 is pre-drilled with a downflow---you'd need a HOB downflow to do the same. I run with no filter at all, with lps and sps and fish.

I use an elevated 9 inch rim [prevents jumps] supporting a 250 mh 10000k with 2 actinics for color balance and night lighting.

50-100 lbs live rock [the holeyer the better] and set the lr on eggcrate for stability, then add sand.

4 inch deep sandbed: it's your 'filter'.

Cycle, then add inverts, then add first fish. Your scooter is a copepod eater, and will have to come late in the game, after your tank is old enough to have enough pods to support him. I recommend a male red scooter, which has a really nice display fin.

MCary
08/03/2006, 10:53 AM
Don't be suckered into believing more money means better. Since hobbies are disposable income purchases, alot of people don't use the same discretion when buying. Many companies know this and are eager to sell the latest and greatest gimmick at a high price.

I have found after 3 upgrades that the KISS system works the best, is the cheapest, and easiest to maintain. You need a tank, a sump, some liverock, a heater, lights, and a skimmer.

I wouldn't skimp on the lights or the skimmer. I would recommend the T5's over the PC's for lights.

If you have a submersible return pump then all you need for a sump is an old aquarium with some baffles siliconed in. If you want something commercial, look for a simple berlin sump

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=BS1K

The skimmer and liverock will provide all the filtration you need. If you need to run carbon for some reason, fill a filter bag with charcoal and throw it in your sump.

That's my 2 cents.

Mike