PDA

View Full Version : Torch & Branching frogspawn feeding

Herpervet
08/01/2006, 06:41 PM
I have at least 3 different variations of torch coral and a couple of different frogspawn.

All three of the torch varieties seem to be difficult to feed. Food doesn't stick well and is usually expelled.

One of my frogspawn is the same. They all seem healthy and I have had them several months from wild colonies presumably.

Is this unusual?

pixburg-reefer
08/01/2006, 07:47 PM
No I don't believe that is unusual. But what are you feeding? I usually feed all of my LPS a mixture of cyclopeeze, mysis, and brine shrimp 2 times a week. The euphyllia pretty much only feed on the cyclopeeze.

Kelly

Herpervet
08/01/2006, 08:14 PM
I have tried cyclopeez, a home-made mix of shrimp,tuna,salmon,squid etc., omega enriched brine, "plankton" (i.e. frozen krill) etc.

It seems odd for such a large polyp to be so selective for small items.

MY pearl coral will eat like a freakin' anemone as will Wellsophylia. Oh well at least they seem healthy and vigorous.

stevedola
08/01/2006, 09:32 PM
Artic Pods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herpervet
08/01/2006, 10:03 PM
So tell me about arcti-pods. Source, etc.

It seems like I recall they are larger than cyclopeez right?

RayMartini
08/02/2006, 09:57 AM
I just started target feeding my torches and frogspawns to see if I can encourage more growth.

Time will tell.

seaduck
08/02/2006, 12:02 PM
I 've been target feeding my frog and torch for 2 and 3 weeks now with a baster. I turn off the filter for 15 mins which allows enough time to squirt food onto tenticles.. The no flow condition allows the food to stay on the corals long enough for them to grab and eat/absorb it ( I thnk so anyway). I feed a combination of cyclopeeze and dts oyster eggs. The oyster eggs r transparent and micro sized so I mix in cyclopeeze which r red and bigger so I can see where the food is going. Both corals were purchased in bleached condition. The frog has made a complete comback and the torch is starting to get its color back now after 2 weeks of target feeding. I also feed kent microvert once a week using the same method. I'm new reefer so I don't speak from experience. I'm going on the results and lots of luck.

stevedola
08/02/2006, 03:41 PM
http://www.reed-mariculture.com/Copepod/ArctiPods/

Everything in my tank seems to love them...started using them 3 weeks ago and its been a plus.

Also, I dont want to seem like a jerk but it took me all of 2 minutes to google arctipods and find out info and who sells them. utilize the resources available.

Herpervet
08/02/2006, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7865369#post7865369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevedola
http://www.reed-mariculture.com/Copepod/ArctiPods/

Everything in my tank seems to love them...started using them 3 weeks ago and its been a plus.

Also, I dont want to seem like a jerk but it took me all of 2 minutes to google arctipods and find out info and who sells them. utilize the resources available.

With all due respect.

I did find it was Reed (and have been ordering Shellfish diet and Phytofeast from them for the past year) but I didn't assume they were the only vendor although it appears that they are.

If you are willing to ask sometimes you will find out that folks have a better way or resource than the ones you know about already.

cheers

stevedola
08/02/2006, 07:50 PM
????

reeftalker
08/03/2006, 11:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7865369#post7865369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevedola

Wow. Why so hostile in your response?

mrongi1
08/12/2006, 10:09 PM
I have had a frogspawn for ~6 months and have never directly fed it and it is twice the size than when i got it. Make sure ur phosphates are non exsistent and your calcium and alk levels are correct. And bright lights are a plus.

GreshamH
08/20/2006, 01:09 PM
Reed Mariculture is not the only source. Currently there are roughly 200 stores selling it, of which can be found on the Reef Nutrition website. The Reed Mariculture site is the online portal for the aquaculture products.

stevedola
08/20/2006, 05:22 PM
I know store within 20 miles of me that sells them so they are available true...I was simply conveying the online vendor to which people can obtain these lovely pods.