PDA

View Full Version : 2nd solenoid necessary?

labragg1
08/01/2006, 03:46 PM
I recently bought a dual-float top-off unit from autotopoff.com.
Since I don't have room for a reservoir container, I opted for the additional solenoid and ran my ro/di straight into the sump.
So far everything is working beautifully and i have had no problems.
My question is do I need to add a secondary solenoid just for safety, or is that just overkill?
I made sure that I purchased the dual-float unit in case the main float valve got stuck or jammed, but I wasn't sure if I needed two solenoids in case one fails.
Do these solenoids reall fail that often?

Input please!:)

CSS Reef
08/01/2006, 05:51 PM
You might not need one, but I purchased a custom dual solenoid unit from Oceanussystems.com.

I have dual floats as a backup, 2 solenoids and a mechanical float valve as a last resort to shutoff water. No such thing as overkill when it comes to protection of your floors and water damage. Never can be too safe in my opinion because failure will always happen when you aren't home, Murphy's Law. Steve at Oceanus told me that they use heavy duty 316 S/S solenoids that are rated solid for 3000 cycles which depending on use calculates to 7.5-8 years. Not sure about the autotopoff solenoids.....

tweetyfish
08/01/2006, 06:02 PM
I have been using the auto top off unit for about 9 months now. Runs my RO/DI straight into the sump also. I have the double float with one solenoid. Works great!
I bought the second valve for a spare. Now that I read this thread I think I will go ahead and add it, Just for peace of mind.

Tony

labragg1
08/01/2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking it may be worthwhile just for peace of mind.