PDA

View Full Version : Black Perculas?

Louisb
07/31/2006, 09:09 PM
Are they rare? I cannot seem to find any of them on the major websites like Marinedepot or Drs Foster and Smith. I like the way they look, but just curious if they are rare or not.

kerusso316
07/31/2006, 09:27 PM
Deep Reef had 4 ORA's on Saturday.Not a bad fish....If you are looking for somthing Sweet but a reasionable price You may want to look at the Onix....I know thats not spelled right.But you get the point

kerusso316
Deep Reef had 4 ORA's on Saturday.Not a bad fish.If you are looking for somthing Sweet but a reasionable price go with the Onix....I know thats not spelled right.But you get the point

kerusso316
Deep Reef had 4 ORA's on Saturday.Not a bad fish.If you are looking for somthing Sweet but a reasionable price go with the Onix....I know thats not spelled right.But you get the point

Louisb
07/31/2006, 09:42 PM
Hey kerusso316,

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a pair of Rod's Onyx already. I was just curious about these because they looked really cool and they were being sold at Petco!!!!!!

Pufferpunk
07/31/2006, 10:01 PM
Do you mean B&W? How much were they?

Louisb
07/31/2006, 10:06 PM
They are black and white, not a tinge of orange even on the face. They were $35

MadTownMax
07/31/2006, 10:07 PM
are you talking about the perculas or do you mean the black/white variant of the seabae?

I had a pair of the seabae's, they were really nice, and had yellow fringing on the pectoral fins - I think there's still a few pictures buried in my gallery.

Louisb
07/31/2006, 10:09 PM
Nope, these were black and white perculas.

Pufferpunk
07/31/2006, 10:09 PM
I have a pair but I haven't seen the male in a few days--I think he jumped. :(

Louisb
07/31/2006, 10:13 PM
Pufferpunk,

Were they a mated pair? Just curious because from what I have read they are pretty easy to breed, which doesn't make too much sense considering that I have also read that they are pretty rare.

G13
07/31/2006, 10:16 PM
.<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7853981#post7853981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Louisb
Nope, these were black and white perculas.

Black and white ocellarius to be exact:)

Here is a real bad pic of my pair. All black no orange.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i154/geedupj/firstdayonyx036.jpg

By the way, I also have a pair of Rod's Onyx in my 10 gallon tank:D

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i154/geedupj/firstdayonyx031.jpg

I wouldn't say the black and whites are super rare but definetly more expensive and harder to come by then the false or true perculas.

Pufferpunk
07/31/2006, 10:17 PM
Well, I got them as tiny juvies & they sure looked like a male & female, one becoming much larger than the other. The female would attack my hand. She looks like she misses him...

Louisb
07/31/2006, 10:17 PM
Those are so cool looking, but nobody has seemed to answer my question. Are they rare????

:)

Pufferpunk
07/31/2006, 10:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/Pufferpunk/55gCorals/RBTA.jpg

Louisb
07/31/2006, 10:20 PM
Puffer,

It is funny that you say that about the female, because I have a pair of Rod's Onyx and it is the same thing. Just pelting my hand every time I have to put it in the tank to fix something or clean the acrylic.

Pufferpunk
07/31/2006, 10:20 PM
I got mine at Ocean Design, for $30ea.

Louisb
07/31/2006, 10:22 PM
G13,

That was actually going to be my next question and it seems like you already have my setup. I was going to put the two black and whites in my 24 Gal Aquapod with my pair of Onyx. They would all be put in there at the same time. I guess it would obviously work.

G13
07/31/2006, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7854073#post7854073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Louisb
G13,

That was actually going to be my next question and it seems like you already have my setup. I was going to put the two black and whites in my 24 Gal Aquapod with my pair of Onyx. They would all be put in there at the same time. I guess it would obviously work.

I don't know if that would work. I have my black/white percs in a 45 gallon tank (my female is about 3" and the male about 1 3/4"). My Onyx clowns are in a 10 gallon tank, 1 is slightly larger then an inch and the other is about 3/4".

If you put them in at the same time you might have a chance but moniter the situation.

Louisb
07/31/2006, 10:30 PM
The main reaon why I am getting the aquapod is because it seems like my onyx are getting ready to start breeding, they have been cleaning off rocks and started doing the little mating dance. I want them to have a tank of their own, so maybe I will just put the B&W in my main tank. I thought you had all of them in the same tank.

broknheadlite18
08/01/2006, 12:03 AM
We get them in at tropiquatics about once every other week or so maybe once a month. I think they are rarer, but not unfindable. Depending on size they are between 22-28$ each.

criccio
08/01/2006, 06:39 AM
WC are very rare, if not impossible to get. CB are not rare at all.

G13
08/01/2006, 12:44 PM
Tropiquatics is a good place for Livestock IMO but I got my male at Ocean Design Aquarium for $35 and highly recommend this store over most. My female was purchased way back at saltwaterfish.com.

kerusso316
08/01/2006, 01:45 PM
Sorry for the trippel post.Up

Pufferpunk
08/01/2006, 02:08 PM
G13, So I could get another male for my lonely female? I thought clowns had to be purchased as juvies, together.

Sara B
08/01/2006, 02:44 PM
If you purchase a small juvenile that has not paired off or turned female, you should be fine. Be ready for a little bit of a battle, but all should settle down.

G13
08/02/2006, 12:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7857761#post7857761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
G13, So I could get another male for my lonely female? I thought clowns had to be purchased as juvies, together.

Not true.........I think your female would like some company.

This is my story........

I had an original pair of black and white's....my female died (got sick) and my male, which was purchased through saltwaterfish.com, was left all alone:( . I was looking to pair it up again but was looking for a black clown that had very little orange on it's face (since I wanted them to have a chance at being jet black). I was checking out Ocean design since my original female was purchased there, and I got lucky. There was about 6 small black clowns, about 1"-1 1/4" in size, and most had very little orange on them (Plus they were just out of the 1 week QT). I looked for a healthy one and also looked for one that was not the most dominant clown in the tank.

During this time I had a KILLER 6-line wrasse that wouldn't allow anything to be added to my tank but the true boss of the tank was the black clown left standing from the original pair. I took a chance and added the clown hoping my $35 wouldn't go down the drain...............as soon as I added him the 6 line went straight after him. By that time all the other fish swam up to find out what the commotion was about, and it was love at first sight for my original black clown. They didn't even fight, they just started checking each other out for a few seconds till the 6 line came up again............:eek: .................well I wish you guys could've seen the smile on my face when my original black clown stopped the 6 line dead in it's tracks and start running for his life. After that the clowns have been swimming together ever since.

As for the 6line wrasse...............HE GONE!

Pufferpunk
08/02/2006, 12:04 AM
So how do I know it's a male I'm getting?

G13
08/02/2006, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7861614#post7861614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
So how do I know it's a male I'm getting?

All clowns are born male, the most dominant of the bunch will eventually turn female.

When you go to a LFS to check out the clowns, they usually have a few in a holding tank. There you can look for a smaller clown that isn't pushing the rest around. The largest clown (usually the most aggressive) in the holding tank might still be male in the stages of turning female, depending on how long the clowns have been together. There is a hiarchy that forms with only the most dominant clown turning female. If there were 2 females in the tank, they would tear themselves apart.