PDA

View Full Version : The Schooling Longfin Bannerfish (Heniochus diphreutes) Thread

FishNutzBoi
07/31/2006, 07:33 PM
I am very interested on this fish. I've heard that it is very similar to the Not-reef-safe Longfin Bannerfish (Heniochus acuminatus) with only a few tiny differences. The name of this reef safe butterflyfish is Heniochus diphreutes - Schooling Longfin Bannerfish.

Anyone have knowledge about this awesome fish?

lux_06
07/31/2006, 10:42 PM
lol i dont know what species mine was but he was mega cool, had him in my last tank that crased a few years ago..

i also had 2 of the scholling ones, nice fish really stand out in your tank cos of their contrasting colours and long fin, will get em again in the LFS gets 2 small enuf ones.

my unknown banner!
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/lux_06/DSC00183.jpg

3.99AfterTaxes
07/31/2006, 11:19 PM
Well, one sure way of getting the right one is to make sure to pick them up on shipments that contain a lot of Hawaiian caught fish. Flame, Lemonpeel, Potter's Angels, along with Chevron and Yellow Tangs are a good clue.

just dave
08/01/2006, 10:26 AM
The one in the pic appears to be H. chrysostomus .

RGBMatt
08/01/2006, 01:48 PM
H. diphreutes can be differentiated from H. acuminatus by its stubby nose and shorter anal fin. They look very similar, but if you spend some time looking at both species they're not hard to tell apart.

SATXreefer
08/01/2006, 03:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7852782#post7852782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishNutzBoi
I am very interested on this fish. I've heard that it is very similar to the Not-reef-safe Longfin Bannerfish (Heniochus acuminatus) with only a few tiny differences. The name of this reef safe butterflyfish is Heniochus diphreutes - Schooling Longfin Bannerfish.

Anyone have knowledge about this awesome fish?

Hello, new to this board, but I've been lurking for a loooooong while. Anyway, from my understanding, because I am looking into getting this fish you can tell them apart by the anal fin, on the fish that is reef safe (Heniochus diphreutes) the black and white end right at the corner of the fin where as the non - reef safe banner fish (Heniochus acuminatus) does not it ends higher up on the anal fin. that is the easiest way that I know of to tell them apart. if you are getting these soon let me know how they are I am looking at getting 2 or 3 of them for my tank as well.

mike89t
08/01/2006, 04:01 PM
I had a pair but I lost them to Ich in my QT. Got them from Vivid Aquariums:

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-1813-S