PDA

View Full Version : Torch Growth?

_K_E_P_
07/31/2006, 12:49 AM
Sorry guys but I'm a complete n00b when it comes to LPS corals. Got my first torch last week. Seems happy tenticles waving in breeze.

My question is do they grow? :confused: :confused:

I'm sure they do...
Have my tank setup for high sps growth eg high calc, alk and mag. With 2x 250 MHs.

Will they grow well in these conditions? How much growth could I expect?

Thanks
Sorry for my Ignorance
:D :D

smp
07/31/2006, 08:27 AM
Mine grows pretty fast.
In six months it's grown exponentially, from a tiny frag to one of the biggest corals in my tank. I feed it rarely, when I remember too.

stevedola
07/31/2006, 09:14 AM
What will happen is that the coral will grow new heads on the sides of the existing head. Eventually they will split and you will have 2.
I have had my torch for 2.5 yrs. I started with 1 small head and now have 3 large heads. It eats what ever it can catch while feeding. They are a very nice coral but make sure you have enough room for the tents to stretch out. They are very toxic to other corals if contact is made.

stevedola
07/31/2006, 09:17 AM
Also, your tank conditions should be fine. position the torch so its not over exposed to light and receives moderate flow.

_K_E_P_
07/31/2006, 02:24 PM
cool, thanks

ACBlinky
07/31/2006, 07:50 PM
I bought my torch as a single head -- the rest of the coral had died, the LFS sold the last head as a 'scratch & dent' but didn't think I'd be able to save it. Six months later, it has gone from one little head to seven :D
Feed your torch regularly, keep it under medium light and flow and you'll be astonished at its growth.

_K_E_P_
07/31/2006, 08:41 PM
Like every couple of days? Mouthful of brine shrimp?

duds
08/01/2006, 12:42 AM
they are similar to hammerheads and frogspawns and mine grow very fastly and i never feed them they only get whatever is leftover, I get maybe 2 decent sized heads every couple months
Duds

RayMartini
08/01/2006, 12:02 PM
My torches look great but NEVER grow any new heads. I have had one of them for two years and it looks awesome just no new growth.

What am I missing here?

duds
08/01/2006, 01:21 PM
you can try spot feeding it, it may improve the growth of it, but it should get enough food from when you feed the whole tank, and there obviously is no problem with lighting for you Ray lol, try spot feeding it and tell us the results you get from doing so
Duds

pixburg-reefer
08/01/2006, 08:05 PM
I spot feed mine twice a week cyclopeeze, mysis, and brine shrimp. The fastest growing one I have I got about 8 months ago. I recieved two heads. I now have 10 large heads and 5 buds coming off of the base. Both heads actutally split into 4 multiple heads at the same time, so then I had 8 total. Then two more heads split. So now I have 10 large heads. Splitting is the most common form/fastest growing process.

Kelly

stevedola
08/01/2006, 09:23 PM
everyone is refering to Euphyllia glabrescens as their torch coral, correct? I know that their has been confusion about this genus before.

http://wetwebfotos.com/media/medium/6/3339_Euphyllia_glabrescensAQGrnLg.tif.jpg
picture courtesy of Robert Fenner (WWM)

duds
08/01/2006, 11:44 PM
i dotn have one but i know that most of the euphyllia's growth rate is about the same because i ah e a frogspawn and a hammerhead and they grow about the same, maybe the hammerhead is a little faster growing but very close, never spot feed them or any other corals on that note they just get whatever is left over from every day feedings to the tank
Duds