PDA

View Full Version : How long before my Acan ech. opens up?

mutualbill
07/29/2006, 05:21 PM
The acan was shipped to me overnight and arrived on Friday, I drip acclimated for 30 minutes and then put the coral in. I have him in the bottom of the tank in a low/med flow area. He has not opened up since I put him in the tank. My tank parameters are as follows

29 Gallons
150W HQI MH 14K
8.3 PH
9 DKH
410 Calcium
Less than 5ppm nitrates
0 Nitrates
0 Phosphates
0 Ammonia

I also received a Blasto merletti and a candy cane in the shipment and they are both opened up and doing fine. The acans were underneath 2 250watt MH 20k where they came from. How long before they open up or is something wrong with them?

ReefDoctorMicromussas
07/29/2006, 05:30 PM
Really just depends on its mood, acclimation, shipping stress ect... dont really worry yet... I got a few micros on Friday that also have not yet fully opened...they look real good but just havent yet fluffed up... Also remember that the ech. dont really Fluff like the lords do they stay more flat.. you can also watch for tentacle extension at night. As long as they have good color and are not showing the boney structures or wasting flesh it should be ok.. 2-3 days should show some activity

mutualbill
07/29/2006, 08:27 PM
Well I saw a picture of what it looked like before I got it and it was way more fluffy than it is right now. It hasn't lost any of its color and no flesh is rotting away. Maybe it isn't an ech., the dealer wasn't really sure. I may need to post pictures of it and let you all decide. I can see some of the bony structure sticking through the flesh though, its not bar, you can just see it right underneath the flesh.

mutualbill
07/29/2006, 08:39 PM
This is what it looked like before it shipped.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/98914unknown.jpg

mutualbill
07/29/2006, 08:59 PM
This is what it looks like right now, is it ok?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/98914IMG_2195-med.JPG

ReefDoctorMicromussas
07/29/2006, 09:06 PM
I could be really really wrong :( but it doesnt look that healthy in the first picture.... It could be its mood there but it appears VERY stressed even if it is an ech.

Sorry but that second picture is sooo blurry that I cannot really tell? Either way give it a couple of days

mutualbill
07/29/2006, 11:14 PM
Sorry, my hand was shaking in macro mode. I will try and get a better picture later. It really looks stressed in the first pic? This is my first acan so I don't really know much about them. Thanks for your help though, I will give it a few days.

grisha
07/30/2006, 02:32 PM
i think it was on ebay like "unknown psychadelic coral''

grisha
07/30/2006, 02:35 PM
doctor can you see skeleton on the first pic? btw i think it is other case like you had with mike , but i could be wrong looking forward to see a pic in fall . very interesting

ReefDoctorMicromussas
07/30/2006, 03:32 PM
I couldnt tell if that was skeleton or just severe retraction from stress.... ??

I am no expert at this but it doesnt look healthy... Heck with Mike I couldnt even recognise that those were stressed out corals... I just got a real nice lesson from Juan Carlos at ReefEnvy though so I hope I am getting better. I hope that it opens up and does well for him