PDA

View Full Version : Filling Acrylic Gap ?

RA
05/28/2002, 06:21 AM
I am in the process of building my own protein skimmer and this is the first time I have worked with acrylic. I am trying to bond an acrylic tube to a flat sheet that has the same diameter hole in it. When I bonded this there is a 3" section that has a 1/64" gap that did not bond. I am using Weld On 4 for this. My question is can I mix some acrylic shavings with the weld on in a small jar and then use this to fill this gap? How can I apply this?
Thanks in advance, Bob

iceman
05/28/2002, 06:27 AM
You could also try using weld-on #16. It is a thicker glue and does well sealing small gaps. When I built mine, I used weldon #3 on the seams and sealed them again with the weldon #16. Its been up and running for 8 months now and no leaks.

boogs
05/28/2002, 07:23 AM
can I mix some acrylic shavings with the weld on in a small jar and then use this to fill this gap? How can I apply this?
You sure can (you'll be making your own Weldon #16 if you do that). You can try applying with a toothpick or if you have a medium sized syringe you can try drawing some in and applying it all along the seam (i'd do both sides of the seam if possible).

Scott