PDA

View Full Version : feeding acans?

spsgtr
07/29/2006, 03:13 PM
does anyone not feed their acan/micromussa? if so, how are they doing. thanks.

ReefDoctorMicromussas
07/29/2006, 03:27 PM
In the begining I did not feed either my acans or my micros "directly"... they did fine but with minimal growth as they still picked up the POM from the tank and of course light and the wafting currents of Microvert... as I became more proficient I began feeding them Cyclopeeze twice weekly and have seen phenomenal growth by comparison.. mine also love occational bits of finely chopped shrimp and Mysis.

spsgtr
07/29/2006, 08:03 PM
good to know, it's kinda hard to get to them at the bottom of the tank. anyone else?

seshapir
07/29/2006, 08:32 PM
I feed my micros and acans coral frenzy directly squirted on them once or twice a week. If you're having a hard time reaching with a syringe try a sea squirt.

neyugn0w01
07/30/2006, 07:15 PM
From my experience, the less you feed the better the color. The more you feed the faster the grow. So I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

ReefDoctorMicromussas
07/30/2006, 08:29 PM
Hmm thats interesting Lam I hadnt really thought of it that way?

neyugn0w01
07/30/2006, 10:34 PM
I have gotten some Indo Lords to color up and as intense in colors as some of the non-Indo ones. What amazes me more then anything are the sizes of some polyps on these acans. Some are half dollar sizes and some are just dime sizes. I still haven't found out what cause this. Maybe someone on this forum can chime on it.

CaptainPicard
07/30/2006, 10:50 PM
A fine balence is low/med light low flow and some cycloppeeze...

RandyO
07/31/2006, 12:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7846000#post7846000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by neyugn0w01
From my experience, the less you feed the better the color. The more you feed the faster the grow. So I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Normally, corals that are regularly fed need less zooxanthellae. The less zooxanthellae algae a coral has, the more colorful it is.

There are many other factors that affect color too, so breaking it down to just feedings would not be a good conclusion.

I would agree that they will grow faster if you feed them.

SALT WATER CRAZ
07/31/2006, 01:18 AM
I feed my micromussa once a week or ever other week to get some extra growth out of them.I dont see any change in its color thay look the same as the day i got all 6 morphs of them.I cant belive that in the wild that a coral doesnt eat at lest once a week...

neyugn0w01
07/31/2006, 01:25 AM
RandyO,
You are right about the zooanthellae and the many other factors ranging from light, water quality, etc...
I was just stating a fact to some people in this forum that can use the information. By the way, those frags I got from you are amazing.

ReefDoctorMicromussas
07/31/2006, 05:16 AM
Hey Salt Water Craz...

What 6 morphs do you have???
Could you post some pics under here?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=896007

I would love to see them