PDA

View Full Version : ID please...sun polyp color variation?

Chelsey
07/29/2006, 10:15 AM
These two little guys are off of a sun polyp rock that I'm babysitting. There are some other baby sun polyps on the rock but they look like mini versions of their adult counterparts. These polyps are almost transparent...not the regular red/orange of a normal sun polyp.

http://www.tlchedgehogs.com/Chelseysstuff/unidentifiedcorals.jpg

sufunk
07/29/2006, 11:09 AM
Interesting, they do kind of look like baby sun polyps to me but...
like you said, i also have alot of baby heads and they all are just tiny versions of the larger polyps. Have never seen a clear one but i guess it is possible.
Would like to hear others opinions.:confused:

whiteshark
07/29/2006, 01:38 PM
I would guess a cup coral...

keckles
07/29/2006, 03:54 PM
They could be remaining polyps from the receeeding portion of a Tubastraea colony. They could be experiencing a lack of coloration due to them being in a solitary state at the moment. The malnutrition and lack of nutrient stability from not being joined to the rest of the colony could be the stress factor. These corals are azooxanthellate and must have a stable intake of zooplankton to maintain their healthy appearance. I am assuming they are not being target-fed with the rest of the colony, and therefor these little guys are struggling on their own to survive.

The coloration might also be due to a lack of lighting for an extended period of time. It could have been placed very low, under an overhanging rock, or shaded by the colony itself. It is true that they are azooxanthellate, but coloration is dependent on more than just zooxanthellae. I don't think this is the case for this coral, but just throwing out some options.

It definitely appears to be Tubastraea.

Chelsey
07/29/2006, 04:02 PM
I just acquired the colony, it was purchased Thursday, and I am target-feeding them.

keckles
07/29/2006, 04:07 PM
That is good that you are now. But, I am guessing the polyps pictured were not being fed before Thursday. I assumed that the colony had been in a friend's tank for a while and you were babysitting it for whatever reason. The polyps are young and could just be under-developed, but I still think it has something to do with them not being part of the colony. Corals colonize for a reason, it is highly advantageous.

Chelsey
07/29/2006, 04:32 PM
do you think they could be a different color morph? I don't see any sign of the rest of the colony, like skeleton or anything. I'm fairly certain this rock came straight from the ocean not too long ago as it has 3 different color varieties on it. Could these just be baby polyps that landed on this rock?

Chelsey
07/30/2006, 12:37 AM
Here's the rock:
http://www.tlchedgehogs.com/Chelseysstuff/suncorals1.jpg

Even the blacks feed well:
http://www.tlchedgehogs.com/Chelseysstuff/suncorals4.jpg

Snprhed
07/30/2006, 06:55 AM
Thats pretty cool!

keckles
07/30/2006, 12:16 PM
Borneman has documented polyp extrusion in Tubastrea. It could even be the result of sexual reproduction. Whatever the cause may be, I still believe that as it develops it will become the same color as one of the other morphs.

Oh, and those yellow polyps are :cool:

Chelsey
07/30/2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks :) Will the polyps extend more and get longer/fuller as I feed? I've been feeding daily.

keckles
07/30/2006, 01:09 PM
They seem to be extended pretty well for the size of their skeleton. I'd say you're doing a good job. :thumbsup:

But, supplement feedings = better growth = more skeletal base = increased extension. :)

Chelsey
07/31/2006, 09:31 PM
Here's a good straight-on shot of the mystery corals...they are REALLY starting to look like a different color variety of sun coral.

http://www.tlchedgehogs.com/Chelseysstuff/suncorals/goodmcid.jpg

RayMartini
08/01/2006, 12:04 PM
Love the black sun polyps. The others look like a sun coral variation.

DonavonsReef
08/01/2006, 12:35 PM
They are Phyllangia americana pretty common hitchhikers. They are cup corals but not sun corals.