PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do - Advice Needed

sfauth
07/28/2006, 02:24 PM
Well the time has come to make a very difficult decision and I thought I would reach out to our great community in the hopes of gaining some insight based on experience.

It has come time in my life to purchase my very first house, which has proven to be one of the most stressful things I think a person can possible go through. While I haven't found the perfect place yet, I do have some promising properties lined up to view and a decision could be made any day.

So why am I telling you this?? Well, my reef tank has been established for well over 3 years now. It is a 265 gallon display with closer to 800 gallons in the system total (Prop Tanks, Refugium etc etc...) The tank is VERY well established and I have cut no corner on ensuring that I bought only the best equipment. I need to make a choice whether to sell 100% of the system today and put the money towards the house, knowing that I will not be able to have a system like this for at least 2 years. OR do I just keep everything and transfer it over to the new house?

Here is a list of things I am considering parting with (I am sure there is more that I am forgetting):

Equipment Quantity

Lumenarc Reflectors 4
Dual 400 Watt retro 1
Dual 250 Watt Retro 1
Dual 250 Watt Retro 1
3/4 hp Chiller 1
Hammerhead Pump 1
Mag 24 Pump 1
250 DE Blueline Pendant Kit 2
ASM G-6 Skimmer 1
Jebo PC Lights 1
48x48 Prop 1
48x12 Prop 1
500 watt titanium Heater 2
265 gal Tank/Stand/Canopy 1
100 Gallon Rubbermaid 2

Livestock Quantity

Fiji Liverock 250+lbs
XXL Leather 1
SPS Frags 40
Encrusting Purple Monts 2
Bali Aquacultered SPS 5
Orange Monti Digi 1
Fuzzy Mushrooms 2
Yellow Center Green Zoos 1
Red Zoos on rock 2
Orange Zoo's 1
Large SPS Colonies 8
Green Star Polyps 10
Hammer Corals 3
Frogspawn 2
Zoos Other 1
Green Tonga Mushrooms Lg 2
Green Tonga Mushrooms md 1
Bali Green Finger Leather 1
Bali Cultured soft 1
Purple Tang 1
Yellow Tang 1
Sailfin Tang 1
Emperor Angel 1
Anthias 1
Purple Psuedo 1
Black Percula 1
Leaf Fish 1

Advice from anyone who has had to make this decision would be greatly appreciated. Did you find that the cost to restart far exceeded what you were able to recoup? Livestock

john76
07/28/2006, 03:05 PM
You may want to try and sell your livestock and keep your equipment. That way you won't have to worry about moving a live system.

If you sell everything at a discount your gonna end up having to pay retail again when you start over.

When I bought my house I was lucky enough to close on my purchase before I sold my condo. I had a month to move my setup and I still lost stuff in the move.

Mache62
07/28/2006, 03:06 PM
geez dude....that's a tough one.

so if you move it, besides it being a pain in the arse, you risk loosing some things....but all the time, sweat, worry and money you have invested....you can never get that back, and it never seems to sell for anywhere near what you pay for things when you bought them originaly......I have some room, I could hold some stuff for you.....I'm sure there are a few others who wouldn't mind.....I guess I'm saying keep it!

when I moved I bought a bigger tank and moved into that, but I also had a couple weeks overlap between buying and selling

sfauth
07/28/2006, 03:29 PM
My thought was to perhaps have a new tank built at the new house (like everyone else in the world I want a bigger tank) then transfer the contents slowly over a few weeks from the old tank to the new.

I've just heard sooo many horror stories about tank moves and transfers...

fraggin
07/28/2006, 04:07 PM
makes me wish i had my 3rd tank done cyclying so i could help babysit for a few months, but i could makle some room in the display if you are close enough

BryanBusza
07/28/2006, 09:12 PM
I would Keep your equipment.

Sell most of your livestock. Use the money to set up a small tank say 40 breeder. Keep your favorites or frags of your favorites for when you have enough time to get the big tank back up running again.

Ruu
07/28/2006, 09:24 PM
You could do what I did (albeit on a larger scale). If you have the time, you could dedicate a room in the new house for one or more of the 100G+ rubbermaids, and move stuff over the course of a couple of days. If you do the move properly, you shouldn't stress things too much. I would still sell a bunch of livestock, but you could use that to buy rubbermaids plus minimal equipment to keep them going for a couple of months (think half-decent skimmer and "good enough" lights). Then you break down your tank plus "real" equipment, move it over at your leisure, take some time to set it up properly and get it going in the new location.

If you got second hand stuff for the rubbermaids, you could sell it on for more or less what you paid for it once you are done (or keep it in a big pile of nebulous "fish stuff" that you will dig through every couple of years when you want to do another crazy project - your call). I never sell any hardware myself - I always seem to find a use for things later.

Dave

tomisfast
07/28/2006, 11:31 PM
Depends how far you are moving. I would keep it if I were you. If planned out well, moving tank is not that bad.

tomisfast
07/28/2006, 11:33 PM
I am sure a lot of people are already eyeing up your livestock should you choose to sell. I too am checking out your list. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Mache62
07/29/2006, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7833986#post7833986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfauth
My thought was to perhaps have a new tank built at the new house (like everyone else in the world I want a bigger tank) then transfer the contents slowly over a few weeks from the old tank to the new.

I've just heard sooo many horror stories about tank moves and transfers...
I vote for this option. You have so much invested at this point. Everybody has a horror story and they always seem to come out of the woodwork at times like these. Tomisfast is right, if you plan it well it will work smoothly....a few extra hands always helps and you can count me in to do what I can.

Marshall
07/29/2006, 08:53 PM
You should ask yourself if the tank, as it is now, is pretty much the way you want it... is the livestock that is in there, the main equipment you have right now, etc the way you want your new setup/transferred setup to be again? If you always wanted a chance to 'do everything right from the beginning' this may be your chance. Plus owning a home is a real PITA if it is your first. I couldn't imagine dealing with a tank setup for the first 3 months when everything is going on during a home purchase. If you are seriuosly attached to the livestock, it is definitely possible to keep it in a ghetto setup (tub + lights on top + air pumps + skimmer maybe) but is it worth it? I know I have major anxiety about my tank if everything is not doing well...

PS thanks for the corals, they are doing great and I have dibs on that XXL leather :)