PDA

View Full Version : Orlando fish stores

bluerug
07/28/2006, 12:32 PM
So who lives in orlando and what fish stores do you guys go to. My two favorites have to be aquaholics and fishy business who has been in the business for a heck of a long time, he is one of the dinosaurs left in the state lol. But picked up a lion fish from fishy business and could not be more happy with it, its allready eating frozen like a champ and rick the owner will not let them go until they are eating frozen, what a nice guy he is by the way. My sister will be buying a tank setup from his store. His prices are some of the best in town and his fish selection is awesome, i will be getting a mappa puffer from him soon hopefully. So fishy business gets my vote, who gets yours?

bluerug
07/28/2006, 12:33 PM
Also i plan on buying a broomtail wrasse a well from him or a saddle back grouper, cant really decide.

thor32766
07/28/2006, 12:53 PM
my vote as seen in many threads goes to my girl marcye at SITC!

MacnReef
07/28/2006, 01:50 PM
My favorite is OceanBlue.

Mike

*I wonder how many more of these threads are going to pop-up this week...lol;)

Stoney Mahony
07/28/2006, 02:34 PM
Gotta say SITC! but Rich always has nice stuff. Im just more into SPS."Cause hes an indian outlaw..."lol sweet

bluerug
07/28/2006, 02:54 PM
Nice that you know that song. Yep your right its rich.

waterfaller1
07/28/2006, 04:12 PM
Rich was my first experience with keeping a sw tank. He recommended crushed coral and 7 damsels to start. Then when I returned for some "real fish" a couple weeks later I was told that I could have ANY fish in the store so I went home with 9 fish at once. A mandarin, a flame angel, a blue hippo tang...to name a few fish that should'nt have been in a new tank. I did'nt have a clue then, did'nt know about forums such as this, and they were not forthcoming with info..like 9 fish should NEVER be added to a tank at once. They all died, every one of them except one die-hard damsel. He also tried to convince me that I had to have $200 worth of snake oils or my tank would'nt be healthy.I would much rather shop at a store that is honest, even if it means they may lose a sale that time. A smart LFS knows that if they give the proper info they will gain a faithful customer who will return. And animals won't have to die because of an inexperienced keeper or a tank that is'nt stable or mature enough.

Pacific Reefs
07/28/2006, 04:28 PM
Just curious how long ago was that?

waterfaller1
07/28/2006, 04:30 PM
Feb of 03'. I really thought that store was the best..because they had so many different pretty fish. I had a 75 gal tank. After all my fish died and another bad experience with a petland employee who squeezed a cucumber before putting it in the bag,I started reading and researching the hobby.

keithntracy
07/28/2006, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7832832#post7832832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thor32766
my vote as seen in many threads goes to my girl marcye at SITC!

ditto twice over! :cool:

Pacific Reefs
07/28/2006, 04:47 PM
Guess I should have read your "hobby experience tag" DOH! Well by your knowledge I would have thought you've been reefing for at least 10 years.

That is a horrible experience btw....and the petland one too. One guy at PL dropped a fish from the top tank so it fell at least 6 feet....then he bagged it and tried to sell it to me.

waterfaller1
07/28/2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah, that cucumber turned solid as a rock the next day and threw it's innards{eviscerated}..I knew enough about animals to know this could'nt be good so I started reading. I absorb things I love like a sponge, and animals are my thing..of all kinds. That's why I seem so "knowledgable", but thanks. Hours and hours of reading and saving articles and websites. Heck, the first forum I found was hilarious. I bet my post is still sitting there at the top of the page unanswered.:D I went back day after day and noone ever replied. Then I found swf.com..LOL..well it was a start in the right direction.

Juck
07/28/2006, 05:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7834335#post7834335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waterfaller1
Rich was my first experience with keeping a sw tank. He recommended crushed coral and 7 damsels to start. Then when I returned for some "real fish" a couple weeks later I was told that I could have ANY fish in the store so I went home with 9 fish at once. A mandarin, a flame angel, a blue hippo tang...to name a few fish that should'nt have been in a new tank. I did'nt have a clue then, did'nt know about forums such as this, and they were not forthcoming with info..like 9 fish should NEVER be added to a tank at once. They all died, every one of them except one die-hard damsel. He also tried to convince me that I had to have $200 worth of snake oils or my tank would'nt be healthy.I would much rather shop at a store that is honest, even if it means they may lose a sale that time. A smart LFS knows that if they give the proper info they will gain a faithful customer who will return. And animals won't have to die because of an inexperienced keeper or a tank that is'nt stable or mature enough.

That's appalling. Which store is this Rich character at?

thor32766
07/28/2006, 07:24 PM
fishly buisness over in longwood.

bluerug
07/28/2006, 09:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7834335#post7834335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waterfaller1
I am not calling you a liar by any means, but this is not the rich i know, he is very honest and would not be in business as long as he has been if he acted like this i assure you that. He is one honest guy, i will ask him about this tommorow and see what he has to say.

bluerug
07/28/2006, 09:18 PM
This is why rich keeps to himself and only his self when it comes to other stores in the area, he does not like drama nor will he deal with it. Fishy business still gets my vote. Being in the business as long as he has, he must be doing something right. Ya think?

waterfaller1
07/29/2006, 04:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7835984#post7835984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
I am not calling you a liar by any means, but this is not the rich i know, he is very honest and would not be in business as long as he has been if he acted like this i assure you that. He is one honest guy, i will ask him about this tommorow and see what he has to say. You have the nerve to question my honesty and integrity? You don't know me.

tomlando
07/29/2006, 07:54 AM
I have known all the fish stores in Orlando since 1979 when I had my first SW tank. In my opinion, just because a store has a lot of fish, doesn't mean it is a good pet store. I mean Lombardi's has a lot of fish! Fishy Business is my least favorite. It does a lot of business volume but I found most of the help to be inexperienced and felt like I was in a meat market instead of a pet store. I stopped in a couple of moths ago and have found that some things don't change much.

Stoney Mahony
07/29/2006, 10:07 AM
Sorry to have to chime in but I know a few of the employes at Fishy biz(not all) and they are VERY knowledgable in the SW/REEF area. Thy helped me raise my first batch of baby cardinals, and gave me lots of good info that still rings true. Im sure almost(I did say almost) every LFS has at least 1 employe givin out not so good info. It's human nature...it's hard to say "I really don't know" when it's supposed to be your buisness. If Marcye does'nt know, she just opens her lap top and finds out for ya! Can't beat that! I would just double check any questionable info on the net and if what you read different, take it back and confront them! Any good LFS will take back if they advised wrong. :)

bluerug
07/29/2006, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7837478#post7837478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waterfaller1
You have the nerve to question my honesty and integrity? You don't know me.
I dont have to know you, to tell you that this is not the rich i know. Lets please not get in a bickering contest, i just simply would like to hear honest opinions of the lfs's in the area and i am not calling your post un honest by the way. You know who had really nice corals but was not very good in customer service was saltwater reef. Very nice selection of all types of corals.

waterfaller1
07/29/2006, 12:54 PM
You just did it again...
So..because this is "not the rich I know" you go on to say "i just simply would like to hear honest opinions of the lfs's in the area " You are basicly saying I made this up. :lol: Krystal has been around along time too....it does'nt mean they have great hamburgers.

bluezoo7
07/29/2006, 02:25 PM
Oh Carole! You made me laugh. That was good.

cschweitzer
07/29/2006, 03:06 PM
Hey!! That's where I draw the line!! Krystal makes GREAT hamburgers, minus the pickles and mustard. I take offense to that:):):):):):)

cschweitzer
07/29/2006, 03:08 PM
Only thing I don't understand about Krystal is that they don't put ketchup on their burgers. I mean, mustard is there, so they don't have a conflict with adding liquid(more like amorphous solids, or plasma, but not too get too technical) condiments on their burgers...

Okay, so who is the best fast food place around?? J/K

bluezoo7
07/29/2006, 03:26 PM
Gosh Craig - you are right. They don't add ketchup. Does White Castle add ketchup? Hmmm.

Favorite fast food places (in no order)...

Taco Blue
Fries In The City
Filet Of Fish Bowl
Burger Safari
Fishy McBusiness

cschweitzer
07/29/2006, 03:38 PM
No, they don't. I just can't put my finger on it. Any WC/Krystal (pretty much same company) managers want to fill us in?

Good choices on the food establishments.

By the way, is TFB back to their grand pecking order? How are the renovations coming along. I can't wait to get in there and see what you have done with the place. You've always been one of my favorites. Is it true that the puffer pond is coming down??

cschweitzer
07/29/2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry, WC only uses ketchup, not mustard. Krystal uses mustard, no ketchup.

Fun fact: Nashville TN has both Krystal and WC

bluezoo7
07/29/2006, 03:50 PM
Craig,

To keep within TOS rules I can't tell you that we are about two weeks away from a grand reopening and that the puffer/ray pond is down now. The puff got a bit too fiesty and had to go - all the rays and puff are in larger systems now.

The shop does look VERY different - it's been a blast blowing it up and redoing it all. It's just been very, very, very, very hot.

Juck
07/29/2006, 06:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7839847#post7839847 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluezoo7
Craig,

The puff got a bit too fiesty and had to go

What do you do with a 16" puffer??

bluezoo7
07/29/2006, 06:44 PM
Seeeaaaworld!

bluezoo7
07/29/2006, 06:45 PM
....or dry him out and make an intersting dining room lamp. I chose the first option.

Pacific Reefs
07/29/2006, 07:07 PM
What tank did they put it in at Seaworld?

Wait I found him in the giftshop

http://static.flickr.com/35/98184095_98beb7759e_m.jpg

keithntracy
07/29/2006, 09:06 PM
omg...that is sooooo mean...the giftshop comment...but a little humourous...

bluerug
07/29/2006, 09:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7839126#post7839126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waterfaller1
You just did it again...
So..because this is "not the rich I know" you go on to say "i just simply would like to hear honest opinions of the lfs's in the area " You are basicly saying I made this up. :lol: Krystal has been around along time too....it does'nt mean they have great hamburgers.
Bad reference, they are a franchise and not just one man, they have big backers, rich is alone, please dont take pieces out of what i said but take the whole quote. Plus enough of the bickering please, its not appropriate for this website, it is for us to share our experiences just like you have.

bluerug
07/29/2006, 09:24 PM
Anyone one been to five five guys, what a burger joint, the best in town, and the fries are to die for.

keithntracy
07/29/2006, 09:44 PM
Personally, I think that all of the stores in the area have something different to offer. One may have great frags, but not alot of fish, one has tons of fish, no frags, one has both but is too expensive. As for advice, it's just like reading stuff on the boards. You think about it, digest it and figure out how it will work for you. Maybe even get a few opinions. We have gotten some bad advice from one of these stores but that doesn't keep us from going there. You learn and like I said, take any advice with a grain of salt.

Ok, I'm done ;)

bluerug
07/29/2006, 09:48 PM
Anyone heard of reefs and rainforests?

waterfaller1
07/30/2006, 06:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7841418#post7841418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
Bad reference, they are a franchise and not just one man, they have big backers, rich is alone, please dont take pieces out of what i said but take the whole quote. Plus enough of the bickering please, its not appropriate for this website, it is for us to share our experiences just like you have. Ok then when I share my experience take it for what it is. If you did know me you would know I shoot straight from the hip. I have no need or desire to fabricate stories.
Craig..LOL, I think we need to have a cookout and call it the "Let's Show Craig What A Real Burger Should Taste Like BBQ":D
Reef's & Rainforests is Ernie, the original seven seas guy. I think he sells dart frogs too, hence the name.
Have a great Sunday everyone!
No hard feelings Bluecarpet...;)

bluerug
07/30/2006, 10:39 PM
No hard feelings at all.:D