PDA

View Full Version : Clown hurting Brain Coral????

Genin
07/26/2006, 05:50 PM
Hey there,
My one ocellaris has decided to host and bother the crap out of my brain coral. He has always been a very aggressive hoster and has irritated his share of anemonies. Now he has moved onto the brain coral and has decided to try and steal its food (which he does to all the corals, so this is not unique to the brain) and he even dive bombs into the brain coral's mouth!!!!! The brain doesn't react badly but do you think it will hurt it???

Please watch this short 7second clip and let me know what you think:

Clown Divebombing Brain!!!! (http://media.putfile.com/Chip-Harassing-Brain-Coral)

firefishbrain
07/26/2006, 06:52 PM
that was weird, thanks for sharing that, the brain doesn't seem to be annoyed it doesn't retract and it seems fully open, maybe the clown is feeding it, clowns are some times said to feed their host.

Genin
07/26/2006, 09:39 PM
it is wierd. that clown is such a freak i swear. i had fed the brain coral shrimp earlier in the morning and the clown managed to steal it a couple of times before I did the old beat him away with the feeding tongs routine (it really gets annoying). anyhow, the clown was dive bombing into the brains mouth, i think attempting to get a bite of being digested shrimp. I just don't want him to kill my favorite coral.

ek9vboi
07/26/2006, 11:10 PM
wow, thats some aggressiveness. try to move the brain and see if it will follow.

Genin
07/27/2006, 06:17 AM
i don't want to move the brain. i actually made all the live rock in like a cove formation around the brain coral so i want to keep it put.

sdreefers
07/27/2006, 10:50 AM
Are you hungry!!!

Genin
07/27/2006, 11:20 AM
sure, right now I am but that's why I am home on luch :P . The clowns are fed very well and as you can see it is only the one clown that exhibits this behavior.

PatMayo
07/30/2006, 11:53 PM
I have the same problem with a plate coral. The clown steals it's food. I solved that by cutting the top off a 2 liter pop container. I then put the pop top over the coral and the clown can't get in the small end of the container and the plate coral can eat.

You might try that, it worked for me.

Regards,

Pat

Genin
07/31/2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the idea. I will definately give it a try.