PDA

View Full Version : please help with leaking threaded pipe

dtaranath
07/26/2006, 05:04 PM
in the past, i've NEVER had problems with threaded pipes leaking, as long as i wrapped it many, many times with teflon tape.

Today, both the entrance and exit of my dart pump started a slow drip after I installed it. It never dripped before with the same connections.

Is there something I can use instead of teflon tape, or in addition to it, that will make the joint leak-proof? I'm almost tempted to silicone the whole thing shut, but i don't want to go there...yet.

help!:mad2:

jtemple42000
07/26/2006, 05:23 PM
Pipe dope may do it, just make sure none of i gets inside the pump. Silicone would work too.

greenstarman
07/26/2006, 08:02 PM
Isn't there a such thing as liquid teflon that dries and seals?

lvpd186
07/26/2006, 08:22 PM
I used regular aquarium silicon on the threads of my bulk heads. So far there hasn't been any leaks or salt creep. The only down side is you have to wait 24hrs for it to cure all the way.

RandyStacyE
07/26/2006, 08:24 PM
I've used PVC glue on bad stubborn thread leaks before, but I don't know if you would want to do that on a pump; it could be permanent if you know what I mean.

When I did it I dabbed on the glue and quickly screwed in the fitting.

I've used that liquid teflon-like stuff before, but I don't remember it ever actually drying. I'm not positive, but I think it's just thick goop.

dtaranath
07/26/2006, 09:41 PM
well, I went with the pipe dope (teflon goop), and it worked like a charm. The only problem is, all of a sudden, my bulkheads and one cemented joint started leaking!!!!!!:mad:

I stopped all the water flow, and tightened the bulkheads. now i'm going to silicone all the bulkheads for permanent seal.

this is so annoying!!!!

BeanAnimal
07/26/2006, 10:41 PM
you should never have to silicone bulkheads.