PDA

View Full Version : Star polyp help?

fishtk75
07/25/2006, 04:25 PM
How do you take Green star polyp off of LR for propaqation?
I have some spreading all over my tank I need to cut it back for over growing the other corals.
I tryed to cut it off with a razor blade but it is on there good.

Travis L. Stevens
07/25/2006, 04:42 PM
You can get under the Stolon (the mat) with a toothpick and gently pry it off until you can get it with your fingers. With a few kind words and some practice, you should be able to peel off entire mats. :thumbsup: Or you can go with the hack and slash method and just cut the rock up with a dremel tool ;)

jasonj90
07/25/2006, 07:09 PM
just cut it and glue it. i think that stars are virtually impossible to kill unless you leave them out to bake in the sun... i just cashed in at my LFS they gave me $75 credit for 3 nice pieces of star polyps!!!

fishtk75
07/26/2006, 06:04 PM
I wiil try that.
What do you all do or have your tanks setup as per say LR size that you can pick out of your tank if the corals grows to much?
I have big LR that to take it out I have to take 50% of the one side of the tank apart were it is growing.

jasonj90
07/26/2006, 06:06 PM
i have large rocks too, i need to take the pieces out that have the stars on it and chisel it all off. its literally taken over my tank, in some cases its holding rocks together...

fishtk75
07/26/2006, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7820203#post7820203 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasonj90
i have large rocks too, i need to take the pieces out that have the stars on it and chisel it all off. its literally taken over my tank, in some cases its holding rocks together...

Thanks do you have anyone have a way to make it easy for next time.
If you do that that means you have to get new pc of rock over time!
Is this one that all you older reefer do not ahave in there tanks because of this if so is there anyones else not to buy it grows too much or is there a way you all know to hold it for atime and take it out easy?

jasonj90
07/26/2006, 07:16 PM
i think that most people stay away from star polyps, they are really a beginner coral similar to xenia. and they both grow very fast!!! i think of it as free money, ive already made over $200 in store credit from the $25 star polyp i originally purchased less than a year ago. it would be great in a frag tank dedicated to star polyps to trade in for cash.

fishtk75
07/27/2006, 05:25 AM
thanks for your help is there any corals that are good that you had that grow slow?

jasonj90
07/27/2006, 10:04 AM
yea, if you have good lighting monti's are great and will grow relatively fast but arent gonna take over your tank. i mostly have zoas which are great, they pretty much keep where you put them but will spread but slow. also LPS like hammers and frogspawns are very slow growers and they arent intrusive. however they can sting other corals, so they need to be kept away a few inches from other corals. good luck!

fishtk75
07/28/2006, 05:18 AM
thanks