PDA

View Full Version : Sand Question

affan
07/25/2006, 03:05 PM
Can the sand found at Lowes/Home Depot be used to make a sandbed in the refugium if I seed it with sand from an established tank? Has anyone done this? If so, what kind of sand etc?

TIA

sir_dudeguy
07/25/2006, 03:14 PM
i wouldnt do that...i think i heard where there's only one sand besides aragonite (and stuff like it) that can be used..i think its called southdown? but i dont know where to get it.

jarhed
07/25/2006, 03:34 PM
Southdown is no more. Look for Yardright or OldCastle in HD or Lowes on the East Coast. You'll be good to go.

While your at it, ship several bags out here to us poor sucks on the West Coast.

:)

affan
07/25/2006, 03:36 PM
Southdown now goes by another name now I think, and is not available in our area. Can the playsand from HD be used for a sandbed in a refugium?

antony1103
07/25/2006, 03:39 PM
I was also thinking of using that sand, but by the looks of it, there seems to be some kind of rust/metal in it. Just my observations.

jarhed
07/25/2006, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811550#post7811550 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by affan
Southdown now goes by another name now I think, and is not available in our area. Can the playsand from HD be used for a sandbed in a refugium?

Again....

"Southdown is no more. Look for Yardright or OldCastle in HD or Lowes on the East Coast. "

antony1103
07/25/2006, 04:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811766#post7811766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jarhed
Again....

"Southdown is no more. Look for Yardright or OldCastle in HD or Lowes on the East Coast. "

One of the members in the reef club i am in just got a hundred or so bags of southdown here in PA. He was selling them something like 11 bucks a bag. I don't know if he still is.

scubasteve247
07/25/2006, 06:52 PM
just becareful the sand is not silicate based.

thor32766
07/25/2006, 07:41 PM
yeah i used paver sand. we tested it with the vinegar test and passed with flying colors. if you want take some vinegar with you and pour it on the sand, if it bubbles its aragonite.

jarhed
07/25/2006, 10:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7811917#post7811917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by antony1103
One of the members in the reef club i am in just got a hundred or so bags of southdown here in PA. He was selling them something like 11 bucks a bag. I don't know if he still is.

Yeah, they probably got some of the last of the stock. It's no longer being bagged under the name "Southdown" anymore. There is a million-page long thread on Southdown somewhere around here.

On another note, I've heard the arguments against silicate based sand, and I've heard the many many threads from people who are using silicate sand, who have healthy tanks.

Search around. I dont think silicate sands are as bad as people might think.

Mr.Furious
07/25/2006, 10:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7814488#post7814488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jarhed
Yeah, they probably got some of the last of the stock. It's no longer being bagged under the name "Southdown" anymore. There is a million-page long thread on Southdown somewhere around here.

On another note, I've heard the arguments against silicate based sand, and I've heard the many many threads from people who are using silicate sand, who have healthy tanks.

Search around. I dont think silicate sands are as bad as people might think.

I think the debate with silicate sands has to do with the quality you buy. If you get a good quality silicia sand which most people on here buy then you will have no problems. However some silicia sands are not only silicia and have other debris people do not want in their tank. Search for brands people are using or ask if there is a MSDS sheet available for the brand you buy and look exactly what the sand is made of.

Peter Eichler
07/25/2006, 11:48 PM
The local Home Depot has some "playsand" packaged by Oldcastle that I'm going to try. I think it's called Duracolor or something close. Anyone want to stop me before giving it a go?

jgreen1025
07/26/2006, 01:21 AM
There's nothing wrong with using silica-based play sand. I used it in my tank that I set up nearly 2 years ago and my only complaint is that the sand I got isn't as bright white as most aragonite-based sands. I've never had a "problem" with diatoms, as someone prophesied I would. In fact, I now have to add sodium silicate just to get enough diatoms to grow to keep my snails well-fed. Read this article by Randy Holmes-Farley: "Silica in Reef Aquariums (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm)." He talks about some experiments he did using silica sand, and his recommendations for adding silicate. And if you're still afraid of diatoms, have a look at this article by Craig Bingman: "Silicon - Foe or Friend? (http://web.archive.org/web/20020612045949/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/2000/feb/features/1/default.asp)." You can also search through Dr. Ron Shimek's and Eric Borneman's forums and articles, and they'll say the same thing. Good luck.

John

cristhiam
07/26/2006, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7813243#post7813243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thor32766
yeah i used paver sand. we tested it with the vinegar test and passed with flying colors. if you want take some vinegar with you and pour it on the sand, if it bubbles its aragonite.
I use the paver sand from Lowes. I can't remember if is #1 or 2 but its the brown bag. it works fine