PDA

View Full Version : Prices on Acans

All Delight
07/25/2006, 12:16 AM
Over the last 6 months I've gotten into collecting acans. I've been told that the pricing has come down alot. I'm curious, how expensive were they? I'm talking about the typical indo acans. I still see some as high as $20 a head and some as low as $5 a head. I realize color has a lot to do with the big gap.

But how much where they say 2 or 3 years ago?

baja_01
07/25/2006, 02:12 AM
2-3 years ago you couldn't buy them. You had to seach long and hard for one that had been colleted and missid'ed. About a year and a half ago they started to come in. Most were green/red, red/grey or solid red and went for atleast 50 a head. Then some people figured out how to get jap acans or look alikes from the area and they started out at 100 a head and went up to 805(jendub's insane pink and green).

Now the red/green indo ones are about all that you can get for a good price, but there are some nice other colors that show up once and awhile, though they are dull compared to the jap ones that still command 100-300 a head.

Here is the tread that started the hunt for then. (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266114&highlight=Where+are+these+Acanthastrea)

And this is the pic that started it all. (http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8607) Although it was originaly from a japanese website.

seshapir
07/25/2006, 11:54 AM
WOW! I can understand why that pic started it all.

gflat65
07/25/2006, 01:16 PM
You should be able to find a number of the common Indo lords for around $2-3 per polyp max (less for larger colonies). Our LFS's have started getting them out in Tn, so if they have made it past the West Coast, no one wants them any more;).

firefishbrain
07/25/2006, 04:27 PM
I still think they are fairly pricey, but then again everything is now... hopefully we can get some fragging and aquaculture going, that will help some... unfortunately, as most of you know, lps grow fairly slowly...