PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane problem

DragonFish
07/24/2006, 01:09 PM
I got a beautiful piece of neon green candy cane with six heads about a month ago. It was doing great for the first three weeks, then we had a really hot day and the tank temp hit about 94 before I got it back down. Since then three of the six heads do not inflate and one of them actually looks like it is melting! Since it started happening, I have made sure the temp has stayed at around 78 - 79, checked the ammonia, nitrates, Ph, specific gravity and they are all spot on. Tank specs are as follows;

33 cube
150w HQI with 14K bulb
Remora skimmer
SEIO 620 and 820
Do not run carbon or anything else
Dose B-Ionic daily

HELP!

Rekonn
07/24/2006, 02:00 PM
Are the feeder tentacles still coming out at night? How often are you feeding?

DragonFish
07/24/2006, 02:28 PM
Feeders are coming out on all the polyps but the melting one. I actually just started feeding it after this happened to see if that would entice it to open up. The weird part is that only half the polyps are affected and the candy cane sitting just a few inches to its right is totally unaffected. I'm baffled.

Rekonn
07/25/2006, 08:00 AM
By melting polyp, does it look like my day3 pic in this thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=876948), where the flesh seems to be hanging off the skeleton? I don't know why mine did that, but it did recover. Hopefully yours will too.

blange3
07/25/2006, 08:49 AM
I've noticed that mine will do this right before they start to split. Keep trying to feed it.

I had a small frag act like this for almost a week and then it started to feed again and split like crazy. Went from 4 heads to 12 in less than 2 months.

DragonFish
07/25/2006, 09:20 AM
Mine looks just like that! It really doesn't look like it is getting any worse at all. I expected to see the flesh receding by now if it were on its way out. I could definately use more polyps of this one, brightest green I've ever seen. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks!

raoul
07/25/2006, 01:56 PM
We stressed ours out a bit when we moved and had some heads do that. The amazing thing wasn't so much that it recovered, but that the tissue that dropped formed new heads too! Keep an eye out for little ones popping up! Maybe yours will do it too.

DragonFish
07/28/2006, 10:18 AM
Well, it appears that it was splitting! The three heads now have two mouths each. It is still trying to drop a piece of itself off but the rest of the heads are inflating again. The cool thing is that I can see the piece it is going to drop has both flesh and skeleton. I'm going to keep an eye on it and make sure I isolate it when it drops. It might be cool to have a whole new colony grow from nothing!