PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's brittle turn predatory??

chicki
05/25/2002, 09:54 PM
I've come to the conclusion that my brittle starfish has become predatory and ate my fav little jawfish. I feel so bad, and didn't think that was possible. But Sally had a brown brittle do the same..mine is brown as well, not green. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

ReefNutPA
05/25/2002, 10:01 PM
If your brittle star is growing and not finding enough food to eat, yes they can become predatory since they are natural predators. I've found, along with others, that if there is enough food for them to scavenge they rarely cause a problem. Just after the lights go out on my reefs I usually drop a few pellets in the tank for them to find in case they didn't get enough to eat during the daily feeding. So far, it's worked for me. Hope that helps a bit.

Tom

dollarz81
05/25/2002, 10:30 PM
i found my brittle with one of its arms in an empty snail shell one day after i added 10 new snails to my tank.

chicki
05/25/2002, 10:32 PM
Well this guy is a real gluton then!! Cause I've been feeding him twice a day since I got him with a tube. He has never left his rock, that I know of! I literally wraps his legs around the tube or the turkey baster. He wasn't starving...that I'm sure of.

JJSTROKE
05/25/2002, 11:22 PM
are the green ones predatory as well ? Mine goes ape wild come feeding time...

anyone know how big they get ? Mine somehow manages to get TONS of food and blows up really big :)

Frick-n-Frags
05/26/2002, 09:19 AM
The green terrors (with the nice spines) can corner and catch a fish. My son and I watched a goby that looked like a hawkfish get chowed. It was awesome but it sucked. Insane how deft a thing with no frickin' brain is.