PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to keep a sun coral?

reefsluge
07/23/2006, 11:49 AM
My tank is a mixed reef, mostly sps. I know one thing you might say is in a sps tank there's alot of flow, but actually I don't have that much do to the two big octopus corals I have don't like it. Their both the size of a basket ball. The one thing I do worry about trying a sun coral is my lighting. My tank is a 110g with two 400w mh. Will this be too much for a sun? Also what do I look for when buying a sun coral? I have never seen one opened up at the store. The store that I go to is very large and has a large clintel, so corals don't sit around very long.

Please someone give me some good answers. I've gotten bored with the hole sps thing and am into lsp now. I like to research on a coral be for I buy. I hate it when peaple buy corals, put them in a unsuited tank or crappy tank and kill a beautiful coral.

Snprhed
07/23/2006, 12:04 PM
Sun corals don't have a great survival record. Each polyp has to be individually fed (I don't know but I'm guessing 3 times a week). I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Bcollins111900
07/23/2006, 12:42 PM
If you place the sun coral in a shady spot and I mean shady spot and target feed it 3-4 times a week with mysis and cyclopeeze it will do fine. I had a sun coral and did the same thing and it did great. They typicaly don't do well because people don't take the time to feed them.

rowland75
07/23/2006, 01:17 PM
Avoid bright lights, and target feed them.

Good params and should be no problem.

Serioussnaps
07/23/2006, 10:31 PM
lighting doesnt matter if you dont blast them...they can take a decent amount of light..just want PE like they would if it was pitch black...you can stick them in the fuge where it is dark during the day(in most cases) and you can enjoy them at the same time you do your other corals...also this way they can feed on live food like pods and mysids

this is what i did