PDA

View Full Version : my hammer and frogspawns dont eat..

armagedon48
07/20/2006, 10:36 PM
they seem to be growing, i have had them for about 2 months and 1 of the 3 frogspawn heads opens up very big but the hammer only opens halfway.

they are alittle sticky but i give them food (mysis, brine, reef plankton, small krill) and it seems to react but the food falls away.

i have heard that they are soposed to have a powerfull sting and that they could distroy anemones and such. so i know my frogspawn and hammer are not doing well.

my water is fine, i keep everything in check, salinity jumps around because of the 10 gallon tank but i added a automatic topoff yesterday so salinity should be more stable. btw 1.025 is the recomended salinity right? right now its at 1.022

Stipe
07/21/2006, 02:37 AM
when i feed him i usually squirt the food throught the tenticles onto the skin

1.024-1.026, prferably 1.026

keckles
07/22/2006, 02:12 PM
The hammer will usually not extend as much as the other species of Euphyllia. They both do have the potential to be very aggressive, but don't let a few stories you read on here make you think these ferocious beasts. I have kept countless numbers of these and haven't had even one overly-aggressive example. I have found the best feeding response comes from gently placing the food directly on the corals mouth. The mouth will be located at the very center of each polyp. Anything that sticks to the tentacles is usually carried away by the current. FWIW, I rarely ever feed these corals. Photosynthesis is enough to sustain them, so I wouldn't worry if they are not feeding. :)