PDA

View Full Version : Where do I put my Sun Coral?

Kennyboy1984
07/20/2006, 09:10 PM
I've seen most sun corals placed on the sandy substrate. I currently have mine on the rocks. Where do you guys recommend putting a sun coral?

sufunk
07/20/2006, 11:37 PM
I would suggest the sand. If for nothing else , it helps to be able to feed easier since i put a small tupperware container over it to keep its tankmates from messing with it while it eats.
How long have you had it? What do you feed and how often?

Kennyboy1984
07/21/2006, 12:34 AM
mysis and i have had it for a week now.

carpus
07/21/2006, 09:23 AM
I have had mine for almost a year and I keep them on a rocks because theres more flow there. I did keep them in the sand and spot feed them before, but without good flow, polyps dont extend too well. So i keep it high on the rocks with good flow. Everytime I feed my fish, 5 mins later all the polyps will extend and I'll feed the sun coral

I feed them maybe 2 times a day. and 2 courses a meal. mysis and some flake food

Snprhed
07/21/2006, 11:19 AM
Put em where the sun don't shine!

really, any area that has a medium low flow, they are not light dependant. I have seen them in rockwork and on the sand. I think its more about your feeding habits than placement.

sufunk
07/21/2006, 11:59 AM
Thats interesting carpus, i've never heard that before. I actually keep mine in very little flow and have always had great polyp extension. As soon as i put a little food in the tank or a few drops of selcon /zoecon they open right up.
Really, anywhere is fine i think. Light doesn't make a difference. Ive seen them completely shaded or under Halides. I'd say placement depends on your preference and what willmake your feeding routine easiest.
Feeding is the most important, imo. I'd give it some different foods. I got a few ounces of shrimp, clam, mussels, and squidd, added some selcon, zoecon and frozen cyclo. Chopped VERY fine and frozen. Every other day i thaw a little and feed with a syringe while its under a cup. Lets it eat in peace for as long as it needs.

Kennyboy1984
07/21/2006, 08:57 PM
I think I like it on the rocks better. Easier to feed when higher up.

Kennyboy1984
07/21/2006, 10:02 PM
Is it necessary to spot feed each and every sun coral polyp? Can I just throw a bunch of phyto, rotifers, cyclops, and mysis in the tank and hope the polyps get some?

CKreef
07/21/2006, 10:28 PM
I have placed mine all over the tank and they dont care. Mine are under 175m 10k mh and 4 96m pc and open alomost all day. IME its the feeding that makes or breaks this coral.

Hopestar075
07/22/2006, 07:47 AM
Kennyboy1984 sorry to change the subjusct but what type BTA is in your avitar??

sufunk
07/22/2006, 05:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7789812#post7789812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kennyboy1984
Is it necessary to spot feed each and every sun coral polyp? Can I just throw a bunch of phyto, rotifers, cyclops, and mysis in the tank and hope the polyps get some?
Yes, it is necessary to feed EVERY polyp. Just throwing in food and hoping the polyps get some is the main reason alot dont do well in my opinion. I would highly recommend the cup method.

Kennyboy1984
07/22/2006, 06:09 PM
I have no idea what kind of BTA it is. But's it's kind of a creamy whitish green with blue dots at the ends of each tentacle. I got it for $40 bucks. As it has grown I have noticed less and less of the bubble shape in the tentacles. I guess that's normal?

Kennyboy1984
07/23/2006, 01:52 AM
What is the cup method? I am guessing it is just placing a cup over the coral and have a small hole punched at the top of the cup and use a syringe or turkey baster to shoot food inside? If so how long do I leave the cup on the coral? Also I would like to hear what you guys feed your sun corals. Thanks!

gflat65
07/23/2006, 08:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7793742#post7793742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kennyboy1984
I have no idea what kind of BTA it is. But's it's kind of a creamy whitish green with blue dots at the ends of each tentacle. I got it for $40 bucks. As it has grown I have noticed less and less of the bubble shape in the tentacles. I guess that's normal?

Losing the bubbles is not uncommon. No one has proven anything on why they go away (though there have been a million 'theories'. How long have you had it?

Kennyboy1984
07/23/2006, 06:16 PM
I have had my BTA for about 2 and 1/2 months now.

sufunk
07/23/2006, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7795754#post7795754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kennyboy1984
What is the cup method? I am guessing it is just placing a cup over the coral and have a small hole punched at the top of the cup and use a syringe or turkey baster to shoot food inside? If so how long do I leave the cup on the coral? Also I would like to hear what you guys feed your sun corals. Thanks!
Yes, that is all there is to it. I found a perfect size tupperware container(4"x4x4). I usually leave it on for 3-4 hours just to be sure its finished eating.
I feed a mix of shrimp, clam, mussels, squidd, scallop that i minced up VERY fine with some frozen cyclopeeze, selcon, zoecon and garlic mixed in. I froze it and thaw just a little bit every other day. They love it. Used to just feed frozen cyclopeeze or krill and mysis chopped fine. They really like that as well.

Serioussnaps
07/23/2006, 10:29 PM
If you want it to extend its polyps during the day....turn off all flow and douse it in cyclopeeze and mysis...enrich with selcon.....and let it sit....do this for a while and whenver it senses food in the water they will start to extend....the lighting wont hurt no matter what unless you have way too much light....

if you just turn flow off you wont have to mess with covering...that becomes a pain in the .... this way you just need a turkey baster...

EVERY polyp must be fed.....DAILY is ideal but EVERY OTHER DAY if fine as well...you over time may be able to do like 3 times a week but if you want 100% success feed it alot...variety...and enrich with selcon every time you feed

THIS CORAL IS NOT A FILTER FEEDER

sufunk
07/23/2006, 11:27 PM
Depending on your tanks other inhabitants, turning off flow may not help. My shrimp and other fish go crazy for the sun's food and would never leave it for a second if i didnt cover it with a cup.