PDA

View Full Version : no power

Jay4Robin
07/19/2006, 09:52 PM
well after the storm we lost power and still have no power. I lost 50% of my fish. What a heart breaker. All of my Tangs and a mandarin and shrimp and a few others. I raced out this morning and baught a genarator.
All corals look good so far.

too much stress:( :( :( :(

jasert39
07/19/2006, 10:15 PM
damn that sucks my power was restore this afternoon...If you neet somewhere to store something that can be kept under pcs or small fish let me know I am in aston, pa...delaware county off 322.

ribs
07/19/2006, 10:45 PM
Jay, best of luck thru this, diligence will help make it less costly a loss. I have some real amazing survivors, still just reappearing and recolonating (recolonizing?) from a recent event. It's worth the effort :)
The fish tho, I still regret their loss and am doing what I can to minimize the chances it would happen again. The gen was a nice pickup, you'll be that much more a pleasant reefer when this is history.
Large waterchanges! ......now and for the near future, IMO.
Nice offer jasert39!

jgatmaitan
07/19/2006, 11:39 PM
I lost power too and got it back tonight. 24 hours of no power and it's pretty scary. Looks like most survived. Only a bubble coral is iffy at this time but it seems to be rebounding slowly.

Yikes, wasn't expecting this mess at all.

Good luck to you guys.

Marshall
07/20/2006, 12:08 AM
Buy a battery powered air pump ($12) that turns on when a/c power dies. We lost power for 2 days a month or two ago with no casualties. I always put one in the main display when I go on vacation in case.

Charleskart
07/20/2006, 03:15 AM
I might be in violation of the user agreement for this post, sorry in advance if I am.

I own a small electrical contracting firm and we routinely install back-up generators.

Unfortunately, it usually takes a serious event; like the current storm, before people become aware of the need for such a device.

In our hobby; especially those reefers with large fully stocked tanks; the potential for disaster is to overwhelming to ignore the need for a back up power supply. Many of my customers reap the benefits of a generator for numerous other reasons such as food loss containment, those with children, temperature control, and so forth. These normal benefits combined with our hobby add an increased necessity for a generator.

There are many other ways to economically safeguard yourself for such an occurrence; although many of these require you to be there. Generators are capable of automatically recognizing a power outage and starting themselves as well as transferring the load.
If you are interested in a quote please pm me.

Regards,

Charles K.

Safir
07/20/2006, 04:19 AM
I have an emergency battery powered air pump, but the first thing i did when our power went out was run for the extension cords and the power inverter in the truck - had enough juice to run the return pump in our 46G, the air pump in our FW tank, the pump in our nano, and a small light so we could actually see in here. We've been talking about a generator for a while but just can't afford it at this time. It'd be nice, as we have much more use for it than just as emergency reef power.

In any case Jay, If you need babysitting services for anything until you regain stability let me know - I'm in exton and have some MH for any higher-light specimens.

Jay4Robin
07/20/2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I did a water change this morning and things are getting back to normal excpet for the fallen soldiers:( We will moarn the deaths and load up on a few inverts to clean up the dead that I can not get to. I will restock in august. A few corals lost some color and bleached out a bit. I am sure they will be okay. I will also pick up a few air pumps for the future . I also have that new generator for the extends outages.

once again this hobby is like a bad drug habbit:smokin:

us2000ua
07/21/2006, 08:52 AM
I have inverter with deep cycle marine battery. My two tunzes were running for 10 hours off this battery. I got power back at 7 am. I'm not sure what was left in the battery, but I glad I bought this system.

eastonreef
07/21/2006, 09:43 AM
jay,
if you ever need to store corals in an emergency just let me know.
i can always make room.
we lost power, but for only 5 hours.... i have a battery air pump and i stirred the water with a large kitchen spoon every 20 min or so,,,,,,,,,lol
my husband thought i was nuts...:)

conda
07/21/2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

That storm was the worst I've seen in a long time. I still have no power--this is three nights in a row now. The generator is the best investment, I've been running mine since Tuesday night. It keeps all the pumps going.

okdave
07/21/2006, 03:18 PM
I purchased my generator three years ago. It has saved the life of my fish a least a dozen times. My power goes out here in Wayne at least 4 to 6 times a year. The generator is a must! Sorry to here about the lost of the tangs Jay. I did lose a baby clown tang partially due a storm interruption last year. If possible, hook your generator up to a manual switch box off your electric panel. It makes things so much simpler when the power goes off.

conda
07/25/2006, 11:11 AM
I also use one of those battery backup units from a computer for the return pump. This usually buys me enough time if the electric goes out when I'm gone.

Jay4Robin
07/25/2006, 06:08 PM
A huge table had a baby hippo dead in it that I could not get out. It caused an infection that is killing the coral. It spread to 2 other corals. I fraged a milopora, The table is 25% gone. I would have pulled the coral out but its attached to a huge rock. I am slowly breaking off huge branches. Eventually I will frag some un touched branches.
The good news is that i had a ORA plug of Cali torte thats now huge. It was hidden behind the colony and was untouchable until today.
I also had a baby blue acro frag that is also now all grown up from Kendal it was about 2 inches when I got it its now a full grown colony.

The circle of life
:D