PDA

View Full Version : adding purple tang ok?

toddncst8
07/19/2006, 10:39 AM
I just added a Kole Tang yesterday to my 5' 110 gallon tank. I was thinking of adding a purple tang today. Should having these two tangs be OK? Or no? What do others think? Thanks.

-Todd

thor32766
07/19/2006, 10:52 AM
you should be fine, make sure and add him at night. they will or atleast the purple, will rough each other up a little to show whose boss. but you will be fine

WetSleeves
07/19/2006, 10:57 AM
I have a 7" Hippo, a 4" Powder Brown, a 5" Purple and just added a 3" Kole tang. I would say that in my tank that the most aggressive is the Purple tang. He is most aggressive toward the Powder Brown and a 6" Saddleback Clown. But there are no major scirmishes. I know he's at it again when I hear the saddleback clicking at him all the way from upstairs.
If you're gonna do it, I would get the smallest Purple Tang you can find.

toddncst8
07/19/2006, 11:07 AM
So even if they are added to the tank at roughly the same time, you think the purple is still going to rough up the Kole all the time? If the Kole is going to be beat up regularly, Id probably rather not put the purple in. But if adding the purple after tends to be ok, then I will. i ask because I recognize if I am going to add a second tang, I need to do it asap, while they are both new to the tank.

WetSleeves
07/19/2006, 11:28 AM
You know you can listen to other's opinions all day and most of the time you'll get conflicting stories. I have the nicest Hippo I've ever seen. I've heard a lot of people say that theirs is the terror of the tank. At the end of the day it will be something you will have to risk or you will never know. The aquascaping, the other residents and the individual personalities of each fish are all factors. I know people that keep angels in their reefs that are not "reef safe" and have no problems. You have to experiment. If it doesn't work out.... there's always the sushi roll!

1package
07/19/2006, 12:05 PM
My purple tang also rules the tank. I would give the kole tang a little more time before adding the purple tang. Mine is not so big, it has harassed to the point of extinction (keep them hiding and from eating........and from being able to be found to get them out) 2 rabbitfish, a sailfin and roughed up my powder blue when I added it. Those were all in 6' tanks.

Good luck - opinions vary as someone mentioned.

Not actually "killing" just harassing/chasing (split fins) enough to

toddncst8
07/19/2006, 12:15 PM
I think your right. I will probably opt on one tang rather than chance it. I would feel irresponsible if one or the other was harrassed to death. thanks.

Todd

OrionN
07/19/2006, 12:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7771482#post7771482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by toddncst8
I just added a Kole Tang yesterday to my 5' 110 gallon tank. I was thinking of adding a purple tang today. Should having these two tangs be OK? Or no? What do others think? Thanks.

-Todd
Let the Kole establish first and then add the Purple. The Purple should be smaller than the Kole. He will be the boss of the tang. Other tangs should not be added because IMO two of them in your tank is the limit. Other people will tell you that they have more tangs in a similar size tank, but IME you will have much less problem and happier, healthier fish by keep it to just two. One tang only is even better.
Minh