PDA

View Full Version : where to get acrylic tank drilled?

Jorbucks
07/18/2006, 08:47 PM
does any one know of a place in the south bay that will be willing to drill 2 acrylic tanks for me? I just need to install bulkheads.

thanks!

pepe.king.prawn
07/18/2006, 09:06 PM
I would recommend you do it yourself. It's not an involved process like drilling glass is. All you need is the correct size hole saw for your drill, which shouldn't cost but maybe $10-20 at the hardware store. Drill from one side until the center drill pokes through, and then drill back from the other side and you'll have clean edges on both. Hope this helps.

Qwiv
07/18/2006, 11:44 PM
Yah, it is really easy. Just do it yourself. If you are just that bad at stuff, buy the hole saw you need and I'll do it for you.

Here is instructions on the use of a hole saw
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=18134

Pepe, never thought about drilling from both sides, I will try that some time and see how it works.

dswong01
07/19/2006, 12:39 AM
You can always pratice on a piece of scap acrylic available at tap plastics for less than a buck. Pratice drilling a couple of holes on the scrap. You will find its actually very easy. Then you can drill your tank

Sparkss
07/19/2006, 01:39 PM
we had bought a tank ages ago from Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, and they drilled it for us (saved me buying the right hole saw, which I didn't have back then). Not sure if they would drill it for you or not. But I do agree with everyone else here, it is easy enough to drill it yourself :)